Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SNG Lockett 1682  (Read 281 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
SNG Lockett 1682
« on: January 26, 2023, 07:53:44 am »
Can anyone provide the scan for this coin?:

SNG Lockett 1682 (presumably in SNG Lockett 4 but I'm not sure which book deals with Akarnanian types).

Nick

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: SNG Lockett 1682
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 08:07:30 am »
Hi,

British SNG volumes are online:

http://www.sylloge-nummorum-graecorum.org/

Lockett is volume III and the three Arcanarnian coins are illustrated.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 09:27:14 am »
SNG Online is a godsend, I use it all the time (usually for Lockett, but some other useful collections from the UK series are up too).

Sometimes they include a note indicating where Lockett purchased the coins (e.g., most of the Bement or Pozzi coins are noted as such), but not in this case.

The British Numismatic Society published Lockett's notebooks of purchase records not long ago: https://www.britnumsoc.org/275

Very detailed, often much more so than other sources (especially for the Greek bronzes), occasionally with a photo clipped out (I think the photos are usually from catalogs he purchased them from, e.g. Bement or Pozzi, though I try not to think of Naville-Ars Classica catalogs being cut up for one's notes!). I've been able to find virtually every coin of his that I've tried to look up.

This coin was in "Volume 43: Greek 5 AR Russia to Euboea."

Unfortunately, nothing too exciting, one of the thousands he bought from "Baldwin" with no further detail:

Nonetheless, another useful source if you have any interest in provenance research and/or have an ex-Lockett in your collection. (It includes all the bronzes, too, individually labeled. Bronzes weren't in his SNG. Many of them include detailed descriptions & provenances not indicated in the Glendining sales, which lumped them in groups, often noting only mint & era. A great many are ex-Lord Grantley, many Rev. Rogers, Pierre Straus Coll., Pozzi, and so on.)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 11:13:49 am »
Thank you very much.  There must have been a typo or editing error in O. Dany's 1999 catalog of Akarnanian Federal coinage, because he lists this coin, with the appropriate description and weight, but claims it has a Lykourgos inscription.  Were that to be true it would shift the dating of everything, since the nortmal Lykourgos types and these early types are about 200 years apart!

Nick

All coins are guaranteed for eternity