Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trachy with strange bust on obverse  (Read 486 times)

Offline Arinda D

• Praetorian
Trachy with strange bust on obverse
« on: January 25, 2023, 05:02:34 pm »
In my Byzantine collection I have coins from about 48 Emperors. Most coins are not the best ones. But I love all of them.

There are some trachy's in my collection with no ID. Hope someone can help me.

This is the first one.

Weight 1.95 g
Size 23 mm

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Trachy with strange bust on obverse
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 09:00:56 pm »
It might be SB 2012.

Alexius III Angelus-Comnenus, 1195-1203. Trachy (Bronze), Constantinople. +ΚЄ ROHΘЄI Draped bust of Christ facing, nimbate, raising his right hand in benediction and holding scroll in his left; in fields, IC - XC. Rev. Alexius III standing facing on the left, and St. Constantine, nimbate and bearded, standing facing on the right, each wears crown, divitision and loros and holds labarum; both holding between them globus cruciger.

Here's an example from coin archives, noting there is a lot of artistry variation on these:

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Arinda D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 12:24:00 pm »
Thanks Ron C2

I have a lot of trachy's of this type, and there is indeed some variation. But haven't found anything that looks like this one.
But still you could by right.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 07:00:40 pm »
Yes the coin has three Sear numbers and in DOC a dozen variations. That excludes faithful copies or Latin Rule imitations.

SBCV-2011 Christ without additional legend.

SBCV-2112 Christ with additional legend.

SBCV-2013 The name Comnenus is added to the emperors legend. (I do not have a clear example.)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 07:54:21 pm »
Fantastic examples of those two. I wish you the best of luck finding the third! Please post it here when you do.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity