Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first Aquillia Severa (from Adana)  (Read 339 times)

Offline Thilo

• Consul
My first Aquillia Severa (from Adana)
« on: January 25, 2023, 11:27:18 am »
Dear Forum friends,

sometimes I do a kind of numismatic bet with myself. I purchase coins without doing a 100 % identification, often successfully so, sometimes less. This time I got lucky, again. I acquired a coin attributed as "Tranquillina, Cilicia". I was sure that it was not a Tranquillina since I could definitely read "SEOV" on the reverse. I liked the coin for its agonistic crown with inscription but rather considered it to be an Otacilia (even though the hairdo was rather Severan - but Otacilia is sometimes shown in this "old-fashioned" way on provincials, too), only to find out it is actually an Aquillia Severa (what had been my secret hope and turned out to be  actually my first coin of this empress).

So, here we go:

Aquillia Severa, 28.27 mm, 11.54 grm.
Obv: Draped bust with Stephane seen from the front to the right, [IOVLI AK]VLIAN SEOVHRAN
Rv: Agonistic crown with one palm branch and inscription IEP OIK; [ADR] SEV ANTWNEINOV PO ADA[NEIWN]
RPC VI, 7447 (temp.); Levante, Adana 206

Obviously, it is not that common as RPC seems to be aware of one piece only, so far.

Nice evening to all of you.

Thilo

Offline Thilo

• Consul
Re: My first Aquillia Severa (from Adana)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 11:32:42 am »
And I have no idea why the last four lines are struck. ;-)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: My first Aquillia Severa (from Adana)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 12:48:06 pm »
Nice coin from a rare empress.

Just for fun, go look at what her denarii sell for!
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity