Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Book Launch  (Read 442 times)

Offline Mario Bartolini

• Legionary
Book Launch
« on: January 13, 2023, 08:59:25 am »
La version française de ce message suit.

It is with great satisfaction that I am presenting you today my latest book: Roman Emperors: A Guide to the Men who Ruled the Empire from Pen & Sword Books (https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Roman-Emperors-Hardback/p/22339). The book is a concise chronological guide to the emperors who ruled the Roman Empire. It covers the period from the establishment of the Empire by Augustus in 27 BCE to the abdication of Romulus Augustus in 476 CE, an event that marks the official end of the existence of the Roman Empire as a political entity in Western Europe. After a useful introduction to the late Republic and its transformation into the Empire, each of the eighty-five emperors customarily recognized as legitimate are presented in the order in which they reigned. This includes both Eastern and Western emperors for those periods where the empire was divided. Each emperor is illustrated with a numismatic portrait. A useful glossary of special terms relating to the Empire and emperors is provided. An alphabetical summary is also included for quick reference to a particular emperor. This book is an ideal reference when visiting museums or historic sites. A French version of this book is also available. Mario Bartolini.

C'est avec une grande satisfaction que je vous présente aujourd'hui mon dernier livre : Roman Emperors : A Guide to the Men who Ruled the Empire publié chez Pen & Sword (https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Roman-Emperors-Hardback/p/22339). Ce livre est un guide chronologique concis des empereurs qui ont gouverné l'Empire romain. Il couvre la période allant de la création de l'Empire par Auguste en 27 avant J.-C. à l'abdication de Romulus Augustus en 476 de notre ère, un événement qui marque la fin officielle de l'existence de l'Empire romain en tant qu'entité politique en Europe occidentale. Après une introduction utile expliquant la transformation de la République romaine à un Empire, chacun des quatre-vingt-cinq empereurs habituellement reconnus comme légitimes est présenté dans l'ordre où il a régné. Cela inclut les empereurs d'Orient et d'Occident pour les périodes où l'Empire était divisé. Chaque empereur est illustré par un portrait numismatique. Un glossaire utile des termes spéciaux relatifs à l'Empire et aux empereurs est fourni. Un résumé alphabétique est également inclus pour une référence rapide à un empereur en particulier. Ce livre est une référence idéale lors de la visite de musées ou de sites historiques. Une version française de ce livre est également disponible. Mario Bartolini.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Book Launch
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 09:02:00 pm »
Fantastic!  That's quite the undertaking!

Offline Mario Bartolini

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:14:15 am »
Thank you! It was worth it. As Cicero would likely say: "Ad augusta per angusta"...

Online Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 05:39:47 pm »
Congrats on the new book!!
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Mario Bartolini

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 08:41:51 pm »
Thank you!

:<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>:

Mario Bartolini, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 05:21:50 pm »
Looks like a great book for those collecting a range of emperors. Congrats. I will look it up. I need something that covers the entire range of the Empire.

Virgil

Offline Mario Bartolini

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 06:29:43 pm »
Hi Virgil H,

Thanks for your kind words. The idea of producing this book came to fruition after a long and futile search for such a work. There are several historical works on the market that deal with the lives of Roman emperors, but only a few of them are consistent in their analysis. Throughout the course of my research, I noted with some astonishment how often works considered as dictionaries or lexicons (some of which are expensive and voluminous), will discuss history’s main emperors with great detail, to the detriment of other, lesser-known ones. This was especially the case for the emperors that ruled during the military anarchy period, between 238 and 284 CE, and those that ruled during the last century of the Empire's existence in the West, between 378 and 476 CE. Of course, the abundance of sources on the better-known emperors, as well as their significant roles in history, largely explains this predisposition. However, this is of little use for the researcher who wishes to veer off the beaten path and learn more about the lesser-known emperors of Roman imperial history. For example, in a consulted work, which held the above particularities, twelve pages were devoted to Emperor Augustus, eight were devoted to Nero, and Constantine the Great got nine. In stark contrast of the well-commented reigns of these three emperors who were remembered for their exploits (or their sinister reputation), the work presented only nine pages of commentary for the twenty-five emperors who succeeded Constantine the Great. This period represents 139 years of history! Moreover, the work ignored the five emperors who ruled the eastern part of the Empire between 395 CE, when the Empire was divided into two spheres of authority, and 476 CE, when the Empire disappeared in the West. As in most other typical works, the military anarchy period (238–284 CE), where about fifty emperors succeeded one another with relative swiftness, is also neglected. The comparative study I carried out revealed that no other writings presented all the Roman emperors as consistently as they are in the manuscript I am proposing. The main particularities of this work, compared to other writings available on the market, are the completeness and uniformity of the examination of all the emperors. All this at an more affordable price that of a encyclopedia...

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 05:57:52 pm »
I ordered the book and it arrived today. I have been looking for such a book and I agree with your assessment above on what is available. For late empire, Shawn Caza's book is great for coins specifically for the years he covers. For a collector like me, your book is perfect. My collecting interests include Roman Empire, but my main emphasis is in other areas (Greek, Roman Republic, etc). I do enjoy grabbing some Roman Empire coins because some are inexpensive and they fit my budget. And I like to read about the emperors, but I am far from an expert.

I recommend this book to anyone like me, I like having a short history of all the emperors in one book. Plus, it can be used as a checklist of sorts for collectors. The book itself is beautiful and well done. I haven't read it yet, obviously, since I just got it, but my perusal of it made me very happy I bought it. I am looking forward to reading it. If there are emperors I want more depth on, I will go there, but as an overview of them all, this books looks perfect.

Virgil

Offline Mario Bartolini

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 06:43:11 pm »
Gratiae collegae Virgil,
I'm glad that the book will prove useful to you. Always happy to assist like-minded enthusiasts!
Kind regards.
Mario

All coins are guaranteed for eternity