Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Congratulations Shawn Casa  (Read 720 times)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Congratulations Shawn Casa
« on: January 06, 2023, 06:59:06 am »
What a nice review (3 pages long !) of the Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types.
It’s in French but I suggest you use a translator, I’m sure you won’t regret it.
DT

https://flips.cgb.fr/bn226/18/

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Congratulations Shawn Casa
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 01:13:11 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out Dominic.  I was unaware. 

Happily I am fine in French.  But I did have to look up the Latin term "vade mecum" - which apparently means "a handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation" which is exactly what I hoped the book would be.

As the author of the review Laurent Schmitt points out early in his review, we met in Vienna years ago but I have since lost touch with him.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 12:19:41 pm »
Shawn,

Congratulations on your book, which I am looking forward to reading!

Do you happen to  know anything about a Procopius AE 17, with the GLORIA ROMANORVM Horseman rev. type of Theodosius I, Arcadius, and Honorius?

Cohen 4 lists such a coin as being in the Paris collection, and we have recently acquired a specimen that looks plausible enough, but I can't find the type in RIC, Bruck, CoinArchives, Forum's Fake Reports, or other sources.

Maybe a known fake, but one would have expected mention somewhere in the handbooks, especially since Cohen describes such a coin. Or maybe it's indeed listed somewhere and I am just overlooking it?

Regards,

Curtis

Curtis Clay

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 02:22:46 pm »
Curtis,

Thanks.  Let me know what you think of the book.

I have not heard of anything like you describe.  There is nothing in any source I have seen including Wolfgang Hahn's work.  He confirmed to me in 2014/5 that he knew of no genuine Procopius bronze coin types other than what were in his 2009 and 2010 articles.

My first response without seeing the coin is that it is of course odd to have a coin that combines the bust of someone who ruled from 28 September 365 to 27 May 366 with a reverse known from the January 393 to January 395 period.

It could only be genuine if we assume that Procopius himself introduced the type and it was later copied by Theodosius. This is especially odd if we accept the idea that Theodosius' design was based on the statue of him that adorned the column in the Forum Tauri in Constantinople, which was re-named the Forum of Theodosius in 393 - the year his coin type was introduced.  I haven't found anything indicating Procopius put up an equestrian statue when he held Constantinople.  Also, GLORIA ROMANORVM would be a new legend type for Procopius

How close is the reverse to Theodosius'?  Is there a mint mark?

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 02:30:33 pm »
Interesting « possible » new type, almost 30 years before Theodosius’ family era. I read somewhere that this type must correspond to the arrival of Theodosius in a city, perhaps Constantinople. It would be interesting to see a picture of it. From which of the four mints could it be struck ? And as you said, nothing in RIC. The only detail I found on NumisWiki:
DT
EDIT: sorry Shawn, I didn’t see your reply while I was writing mine…

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 04:42:08 pm »
Just ordered the book and added to NumisWiki. Somehow I missed this before.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=Caza%20HLRBC
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 12:38:50 pm »
Here is our GLORIA ROMANORVM of Procopius., AE 17, 2.35g, mintmark may be SMNE but not clear.

Two points against regarding it as an authentic Procopius: the portrait isn't bearded and the coin is a little smaller that the standard AE 3's of Procopius.
Curtis Clay

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 01:59:40 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 09:26:50 pm »
Yes, very odd.  Any signs of tooling under magnification?

In the photo the letters PROCOP look oddly well defined compared to the other letters and it is exactly those letters that define the name....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity