Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Green hard material removal  (Read 580 times)

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
  • A Lover of History and Art
Green hard material removal
« on: December 31, 2022, 03:05:45 pm »
I have a chance to purchase this coin. I am wondering if I have the skills to clean this effectively. I am not worried about the dirt but the green encrustations are a little more interesting. What do you think of them? Should they come off with distilled water soaks and a scalpel or would another treatment be better?
Looking for more underpriced uncleaned coins. Let me know if you find them.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Green hard material removal
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 04:08:31 pm »
The green material looks like malachite. This can only be removed mechanically.
But I would leave the coin as it is. You can see on the edge that the black patina underneath the green material is not very stable. There are chipped areas. If you do too much you might ruin a very nice coin with a good contrast.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 04:11:18 pm »
There is no good reason to remove the green. It will not improve the appearance or value of the coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
  • A Lover of History and Art
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 04:15:39 pm »
Sounds good. You are right in that the edge does look pretty chipped. There probably isn't anything to do to this coin.
Looking for more underpriced uncleaned coins. Let me know if you find them.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 12:44:05 pm »
I would not even clean the remaining dirt as it provides a nice colour contract to make a beautiful-looking coin.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity