Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Dorchester Hoard  (Read 548 times)

Offline Lerian

• Consul
The Dorchester Hoard
« on: December 29, 2022, 05:54:44 am »
How useful would the Anne Robertson, An Inventory of Romano-British Coin Hoards, RNS Special Publication no 20, be for the coins of Philip I & II and Gordian III?

I have found the original Numismatic Chronicle report by Harold Mattingley on Jstor but can't download it.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: The Dorchester Hoard
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 06:04:36 am »

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 06:35:39 am »
Thank you Pekka K,

it gives me more than enough information to see it's not what I would need.

so.... does anyone have a printable version of the original Mattingley report?

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 07:33:29 am »
I have the book in my library. Can you tell me more precisely what information you need, since it’s a 520 pages monster describing 1900 different hoards
DT

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 07:39:38 am »
I was hoping that the report would help with the number of different types found in the hoard - a sort of go to when recording the relative scarcity such as with the Reka Devnia hoard.

However having never seen it I am not sure if it contains this information or rather just the number of coins found for each emperor? 

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 08:12:57 am »
The bad news: they do not give many details about the hoard you’re looking for. The good news: there is a very detailed inventory of coins and type of the Dorchester Hoard in the Cunetio hoard book ! PM me your e-mail and I’ll send you a copy of the pages later today when I’m back from work.
DT

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 08:24:04 am »
I do not have much detailed information on the hoard either, but here is a photo of the hoard if that is of interest to you.

*Alex

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 11:59:38 am »
Thank you all for your help.

Dominic T, I have hopefully sent you a message.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 02:02:41 pm »
Lerian,

About twenty years ago I was able to work out, though never published in detail, the sequence of the reverse types of the Roman coinages of Gordian III and Philip I-II, making heavy use of Mattingly's specimen counts of the antoninianus types by Cohen numbers.

Mattingly's inventory, which you have seen, is extremely useful for showing the comparative volumes of production of the antoninianus types, like the Reka Devnia hoard for the denarii and antoniniani of a slightly earlier period. So I am a little mystified what sort of additional information you appear to hope might be provided by other publications of the Dorchester hoard?
Curtis Clay

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 02:24:10 pm »
Curtis,

I have seen but have no hard copy of Mattingley's work to use as a reference. I can access it for a number of times but after that unless I pay for a subscription, which I doubt would be used fully, my reference to it for the future would end.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 05:35:04 pm »
This one-page scan covers all the Dorchester coins of those two reigns.
Curtis Clay

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 03:29:35 pm »
Thank you to everyone for all of your very useful help. Much appreciated.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:26:22 am »
@Lerian: I have the extract of the Dorchester Hoard article in NC 1939 which included 3 plates, as a pdf.
If you (or anyone else) want(s) a copy, please send me an email (not PM) - my address is on my profile page.

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 11:54:20 am »
Hi Lerian,

I have a PDF of Mattingly's 1936 NC article that I have uploaded to my Google Drive. I believe you should be able to download it (it is set to "Viewers can download," so let me know if that doesn't work & I'll try something else): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k9GBtYB7CWp9eknBU1CU2ivoz1J4j9oo/view?usp=sharing

I got the article after buying about a half dozen or so ex-Dorchester Hoard Philips and Gordian III's from the sale of the Ken Bressett Collection last year. But it's obviously of much more general value, as the other comments have pointed out.

I believe I originally found the PDF of the volume on Archive, and saved the pages I wanted.

By the way, you mentioned losing access to the article on JSTOR when you're on the free tier (which is what I use now), but I don't think that's quite how it works. You get 100 free articles per month. (That's not an insurmountable quantity, but a lot of the numismatic / classics articles I read on JSTOR turn out to be Open Access/downloadable, which don't count against your hundred.) So even if you do use all 100, it restarts the next month. I don't recall if you get "charged" each day that you read the article, or once per month-per-article. (I.e., If I were to read the same 4 articles every day, whether my credits would run out after 25 days, or if I would still have 96/100 remaining.) I do believe I've re-loaded and read the same article many times in one day and only used one credit.

(As I understand it, it's not considered risky to publicly share a Google Drive document link, as above, as long as the file itself isn't anything important, but if I'm mistaken, pls let me know, or if it violates any rule.)

Curtis Jackson-Jacobs
("the other Curtis" on this thread!)

P.S. Here are some of my Ken Bressett Coll. Dorchesters. Not particularly notable aside from having come from that collection & hoard, which is why I chose them (full size img.):
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

All coins are guaranteed for eternity