Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any tips on how to clean a coin like this?  (Read 663 times)

Offline Josiah Y

• Legionary
Any tips on how to clean a coin like this?
« on: December 16, 2022, 09:52:09 pm »
I have several coins with a flaky looking patina like the one below. I feel like the green patina is actually obscuring the detail and I was wondering what you guys would think is the best way to clean coins like this?

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
  • A Lover of History and Art
Re: Any tips on how to clean a coin like this?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 02:17:51 am »
I'm afraid that coin will never look better than it does now. Removing the patina will remove the detail that still remains. If you really like the coin but want it to have more eye appeal just for you personally, you might look into some fully reversible techniques to mask the exposed metal such as a green wax on those areas or a fully reversible acid free paint such as is used in painting conservation, not oil based and easily removable with a solvent like distilled water nothing stronger. That said, if it was me, I would just wax it and keep it as is.
Looking for more underpriced uncleaned coins. Let me know if you find them.

Offline Nathaniel N2

• Consul
  • A Lover of History and Art
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 02:18:48 am »
With the patina as is I can identify the coin type, mint, officina, reverse type and see much more. Don't remove the patina!
Looking for more underpriced uncleaned coins. Let me know if you find them.

Offline Josiah Y

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 02:16:09 pm »
No worries, I don't plan to remove the patina. I'm planning to do DW soaks and using a nylon brush only. I think even toothpicks would too much for this coin, especially on the reverse. I have many coins with a flaky patina and so far I've found that some flake off even during the DW soaking phase alone. The only thing I have found that works is to practice abstinence and just leave it as is and was wondering if the more experienced people here had any process they use on coins like this.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 11:54:41 am »
Yup, these can be very frustrating.

I always search through and pull out any coins like this before doing any water soaks as even that can harm some.

I then gently poke and prod with a toothpick to see just how stable, or not, the remaining patina is.

If fairly stable, then one can often clean off some dirt with soft toothbrush and toothpick, or even metal pin in some cases, then wax and store.

If unstable, then there is little that can be done.  Sometimes rubbing the coin gently between thumb and fore-finger can help - believe it or not. Waxing can help, if it can stand it, as it reduces friction on it later.  Such coins also often do better in a tray than in a flip or envelope.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 01:42:23 pm »
That coin isn't going to be improved with dw soaks, in my opinion. The dark areas are exposed flan core, not dirt.

It it were mine, it heat dry it for a few minutes (lowest temperature in a countertop oven) let it stand for a week in a dry place, and then ren wax to preserve what's left.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2022, 01:46:59 pm »
I agree with Ron.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2022, 09:56:52 pm »
I am curious, what is a countertop oven?

Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2022, 10:04:45 pm »
It's like a toaster but an oven

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2022, 01:48:51 pm »
OK, thanks on that, I am visualizing what I know as a toaster oven. That has to be similar. I guess there is no reason not to do this in a normal oven, as well, just less efficient energy wise.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 05:45:44 pm »
OK, thanks on that, I am visualizing what I know as a toaster oven. That has to be similar. I guess there is no reason not to do this in a normal oven, as well, just less efficient energy wise.

Virgil

You've got it! The goal is you want virtually no moisture in a coin before you wax it, or you could have BD form under the wax film.  Heat is a great wat to suck out the wet.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity