Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning dark tarnish/toning/horn silver? from ancient silver coin.  (Read 403 times)

Offline DIMITRIOS L

• Auxiliary
Greetings, I have bought an uncleaned coin lot online and found one silver denarius with dark toning/residue very similar to this photo( a coin I wanted to buy and missed). Is there any way to lighten up the details, for example hair, eyes etc, without destroying the precious toning ( I really don't like shiny coins). I ve read lemon juice applied locally  might do the trick. I post this image because I have a terrible phone camera.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Cleaning dark tarnish/toning/horn silver? from ancient silver coin.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 12:18:21 am »
I see no one has responded, so I will give you my two denarii worth. This coin looks already clean. I really can't imagine much else to do with it. I would never try to change the toning it has. I realize this isn't your actual coin. Maybe try to take pictures of yours. This one looks fine to me.

Virgil

Offline DIMITRIOS L

• Auxiliary
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 04:49:45 am »
Thanks mate! I know it's pretty much done , I was thinking maybe bringing out some detail with some lemon juice and q tips. Well since its not a very precious coin I could experiment a little.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 12:48:44 pm »
Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 10:18:38 pm »

Generally I don’t clean silver coins.  But I cleaned this MAL XXII because of the radically different condition of reverse and obverse.  Lemon juice soaks of a few minutes at a time and some prodding of deposits with a wet bamboo skewer and a little very careful prodding with a no. 11 blade. I got the desired result but I don’t think cleaning a silver coin with lemon juice or any substance that removes toning will help highlight detail, but rather will do the opposite— tend to wash out detail. Just my two denarii.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 10:27:29 pm »
This is really interesting and informative. I am not sure I like the cleaned version as much. It shows the wear so much more, maybe that is an illusion. Hmmm.

Thanks for posting.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity