Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine seal to ID  (Read 502 times)

Magistros

Byzantine seal to ID
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:15:35 am »
I’ve been trying to ID this (13th century?) Byzantine seal. I’m not sure about the reading of the seal, any ideas? I can make out the following:

Obverse - Saint Demetrios
Reverse -

+TVΠ (ο over Π)
CΘΡΑΓΙC MI
M,V,EI T(o below T)N
AΠΟ

Magistros

Re: Byzantine seal to ID
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 07:16:11 am »
Photo of reverse

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 04:19:20 am »
Hello,

A possibility could be that the owner's name was Demetrios and the reverse declares this fact, but I can't read it clearly.
A (very) wild guess would be:  " TYΠO[C] CΦΡΑΓΙ[ΔΟ]C MHΝΥΕΙ ΤΟ[Ν] Δ[ΕC]ΠO[THN].

Regards.
Iolkia

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 05:23:03 am »
Very interesting! A step on the way, but not quite there yet. I'd say your reading of MHNYEI is certain, as is the first word, typos (imprint, but the case remains unclear), and the reading should revolve around that. I am not sure what is being 'revealed' by what yet.

The genitive sphragidos is expected of course (impression of the seal), but the abbreviation 'sphragi(do)s' is problematic, as that is also the nominative form of the word. I think a delta would have to be there.

Regards
Gert

Offline iolkia

• Consul
    • my coins
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 12:24:20 pm »
Hello,

I mean, the translation would be:
“The imprint of the seal (on the obverse) namely St Demetrios, reveals the (name of the) owner. So the owner‘s name would also be Demetrios.  But I agree, the abbreviation of the word „Sphragidos” is quite peculiar.

Regards,
Iolkia

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 03:52:36 pm »
Your reading makes sense in itself, it is just that the grammatical cases of typos and sphragis are not clear on the seal. If anything, it reads 'sphragis', not 'sphragidos', which is a problem.

On a positive note, looking in Wassiliou-Seibt's corpus of metric seals, I could find contemporary parallels where the seal's owner is designated 'despotes' (nos 1772 and 2700). So we know the term was used this way at this time. Also, the last line could well read Δ,ΠO, with a superscript T.

A parallel for the usage of 'typos sphragidos' for this purpose (as referring to the name of seal's owner) would also be welcome, but this I couldn't find.

Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity