Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Old coin with fleur-de-lis  (Read 450 times)

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
Old coin with fleur-de-lis
« on: August 18, 2022, 04:39:28 pm »
Hi everyone

My grandfather passed away last year and he left me some of his old metal detecting finds. Among them is this coin that I can't seem to identify.
The only thing I can make out is a double square with some fleur-de-lis inside. The other side just seems to have some wavy lines. Any ideas?

Thanks
--Tom

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
Re: Old coin with fleur-de-lis
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 04:39:56 pm »
Other side:

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 04:41:03 pm »
It's a little bent (its a very thin coin) and the details arent very clear (presumably as its been worn as its old).

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 05:00:56 pm »
Hello Tom B3!
It is not precisely a coin.
It is a "Rechenpfennig" from Nürnberg and you'll find it on the www under "Jeton de Compte à la Nef", or "Jeton aux quatre fleurs de lys en losange" of which type it is one of the many variants.
Here is such a picture I found there:

Offline Tom B3

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 05:27:37 pm »
Oh wow, thats pretty cool!

Thanks so much for the help!!

--Tom

All coins are guaranteed for eternity