Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Unique Domitian Denarius  (Read 1468 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
A Unique Domitian Denarius
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:44:12 am »
I was very happy to receive this previously unrecorded Minerva type from Domitian's sixth issue of denarii for 85. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-129207

If anyone is aware of other examples please let me know!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: A Unique Domitian Denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:16:39 pm »
You have good luck   +++ :) ;) :angel:

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »
Great find indeed.

Congrats!

Alberto

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:52:23 pm »
 +++  Unicum 
Sam Mansourati

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:47:57 pm »
Nice catch David. Congrats!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:03:18 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. This was quite an exciting coin to research!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:58:49 am »
Congratulations David on acquiring such a rarity.

Looking at the Minerva reverse I am taken by it's engaging feeling of solidity. It has a sculptural look of a kind that I am sure I have seen before. The famous statue of Zeus enthroned that you see on Macedonian tetradrachms comes to mind. I believe the best of those tets are so convincing because they were derived from a statue that existed at the time, the Phidias Zeus at Olympia. Made by a great artist it provided design reference points that the die engraver could use as a guide while creating their own low relief sculpture in miniature.

The casual way Minerva holds the thunderbolt is a quiet reminder of her power as a Goddess. Brilliant. I did an internet search and have a  candidate for a model the die engraver may have been aware of. The Athena Hope-Farnese was found near Naples and is in the Naples Museum. The arms and helmet decoration have been restored. The second version is in the William Randolph Hearst Collection. Athena Hope-Farnese is believed to be a  Roman copy of a Greek original by Pyrrhos of the school of Phidias from the 5th BC.

As the original hands are missing it is hard to know what she may have been causally holding. An owl, Winged Victory or thunderbolt?

Best regards,

Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:04:41 am »
Quote from: gallienus1 on May 24, 2016, 05:58:49 am
Congratulations David on acquiring such a rarity.

Looking at the Minerva reverse I am taken by it's engaging feeling of solidity. It has a sculptural look of a kind that I am sure I have seen before. The famous statue of Zeus enthroned that you see on Macedonian tetradrachms comes to mind. I believe the best of those tets are so convincing because they were derived from a statue that existed at the time, the Phidias Zeus at Olympia. Made by a great artist it provided design reference points that the die engraver could use as a guide while creating their own low relief sculpture in miniature.

The casual way Minerva holds the thunderbolt is a quiet reminder of her power as a Goddess. Brilliant. I did an internet search and have a  candidate for a model the die engraver may have been aware of. The Athena Hope-Farnese was found near Naples and is in the Naples Museum. The arms and helmet decoration have been restored. The second version is in the William Randolph Hearst Collection. Athena Hope-Farnese is believed to be a  Roman copy of a Greek original by Pyrrhos of the school of Phidias from the 5th BC.

As the original hands are missing it is hard to know what she may have been causally holding. An owl, Winged Victory or thunderbolt?

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve for the kind words. The period the coin was struck was one of high artistic style for the denarius, as you certainly recognised.

I assume the four Minerva designs repeated over and over again on the coinage were fairly standard well known types which were copied all throughout the Roman world. Your posted Minervas are marvellous examples of such and demonstrate that quite clearly!

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:53 am »

Amazing David, Congratulations!!

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity