Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late roman imitation? coin id help  (Read 828 times)

67aiga7a

Late roman imitation? coin id help
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:33:42 am »
Greetings all,

can someone help with identifying the coin below please? It measures 19mm in diameter and obverse is struck in 49° angle against the reverse. It looks like the two victories around alter but the righting on the alter is TOV VT and not the standard VOT PT and I just can't seem to read the legend as well. Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

67aiga7a

Re: Late roman imitation? coin id help
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 06:11:52 am »
Thank you BiancasDad, it is most certainly of the ''Two Victories holding shield inscribed VOT PR over altar'' type, but I just can't seem to place the emperor nor the mint, and I failed finding analogue that says TOV VT on the shield, hangs why I got curious if this happens to be an unlisted coin or an ancient barbaric imitation counterfeit.

Thanks! 

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:19:35 am »
Thank you BiancasDad, it is most certainly of the ''Two Victories holding shield inscribed VOT PR over altar'' type, but I just can't seem to place the emperor nor the mint, and I failed finding analogue that says TOV VT on the shield, hangs why I got curious if this happens to be an unlisted coin or an ancient barbaric imitation counterfeit.

Thanks!  
I think barbaric imitation to the extreme, and they must have been really drunk when they made this because the legends, mint mark, and shield inscription are simply a mess.

I think the obverse legend may have been an attempt at Crispus. Something along the lines of CRISPVS NOB CAES

67aiga7a

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:29:10 am »
:D so it would seem  +++. Thank you ever so much!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 07:54:48 am »
It seem likely the engraver made the dies from memory or copying another blundered imitation.  In any case, it is Germanic tribal pseudo-imperial, mid 4th - early 5th century A.D.  Here is nice example (not exactly the same) from Forum's catalog (already sold)...

Germanic Tribes, Pseudo-Imperial Coinage, Mid 4th - Early 5th Century A.D.

This type was minted by and used as currency by tribes outside the Roman empire. It copied a type issued under Constantine the Great from the Siscia mint. Some imitative coins of this type are very similar to the Roman prototypes. This example has degraded illiterate legends and crude naive style.

RL38144. Bronze barbarous AE 3, for prototype cf. RIC VII Siscia 66 ff. (Roman, Constantine the Great, Siscia mint, 319 A.D.), Choice EF, very nice specimen for the issue, barbarous mint, weight 3.284g, maximum diameter 17.7mm, die axis 0, after 318 A.D.; obverse IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG (blundered), laureate and cuirassed bust right; reverse VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP (blundered), two Victories holding shield over altar; SOLD

To see other counterfeit, unofficial, and imitative Roman coins for sale in our shop - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1156
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity