Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: S-1933 or S-1945  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
S-1933 or S-1945
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:12:14 pm »

I purchased this coin at auction as a John II Tetarteron S-1945, I disagree with its attribution, I see it as an Alexius Sear -1933 however, the coin has several interesting aspects to it ,regardless of it being either coin it is very off weight. The John II coin is rarely off weight , more around 3.5 to 4.5gm , this coin has a very strange flan and it cuts off the most important tell tale sign of the difference between the two coins, The emperor holds a labarum on the Alexius version but the John II coin he holds a scepter cruciger. The style and legend are my reasons from reattributing the coin. Its condition is very Fine regardless of the off strike.

If I am correct I will hold examples of this coin from 1g 2.7gm, 3.1gm and 4.9gm. I have also seen but do not own an example that was 5.44.gm .Regional coin issues of especially Alexius seem to vary, I am really starting to believe these coins were not a fixed denomination but based on weight

1933 ALEXIUS TETARTERON S-1933 DOC43 CLBC 2.4.9 

OBV Full Length figure of Christ bearded and nimbate wearing tunic and kolobion; holds Gospels in l. hand.

REV Full length figure of Emperor wearing stemma, divitision, and wearing jeweled loros of simplified type;( holds in r hand labarum on long shaft) and in l. gl.cr.

Size 22.00

Weight 1.25gm

This coin and S-1934 I believe were minted in Cyprus, these coins were once very rare but recently they have been hitting the market much more frequently. Most of these offerings are coming from Cyprus dealers.

DOC Lists 1 example not in their collection. Weight 2.44gm and size 18mm 
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Strategos

• Consul
    • Labarum.info
Re: S-1933 or S-1945
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 12:55:14 am »
Legend: [+ALE] ZI :Greek_omega_small:  :Greek_Delta: EC

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 05:26:53 am »
I agree with Strategos.
The legent leaves no doubt its Alexius.

tk

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:40:40 am »
Thank You Gentlemen, I was not in doubt, but I really appreciate the feedback . Especially since I brought this up with the dealer and they disagreed.

Happy Holidays to you both.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:51:36 am »
Please use SBCV, instead of S- or Sear. It will link to NumisWiki allowing the reader unfamiliar with Sear's Byzantine Coins and Their Values to identify the reference by clicking the blue text link.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
Understood, will do for future posts.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:16:38 pm »
Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline B*Numis

• Praetorian
    • B-numis
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 04:04:37 am »
Very good coin simon  +++
Besançon Numismatique
www.bnumis.com

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:36:42 pm »
Nice pickup Simon.  I was so tempted to grab that one, but ended up passing on it.  Now, I am envious  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity