Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Jar handle with seal impression  (Read 3930 times)

a

Jar handle with seal impression
« on: April 23, 2015, 04:44:03 am »
Hi,

This is red clay jar handle has round seal impression with pellets border and unknown image and might be inscription. I can't find anything similar on the web and have no clue about the period: Judean, Hellenistic, Roman?

The seal diameter is 27mm

The handle size is 111mmx60mm

Please help me to get some direction for my search.

Best Regards,
Explorer

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Jar handle with seal impression
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:53:24 am »
Google "stamped amphora handle" and "amphora handle seal impression".  There should be a lot out there.  For example there are 150 papers on academia.edu between those two headings.

Much of what I have seen is about seals comprised of writing.  Those with a head or design like yours seem rarer.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

a

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 02:24:44 am »
Thank you Shawn.

Indeed, there are lot of articled about stamped handles on academia.edu. I think I reviewed all of them. Still don't sure about this one - not period and not the figure appearing on it. I'm focusing on those with round stamp with clear pellets border.
What do you think about this? Seems like Hellenistic?

Best Regards,
Explorer

Nero 30

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:19 am »
Hi explorer, the seal it self is a little bit worn, I have a few stamped handles, some I could identify the sealing  and some not, From the style of the handle compared with what I identified as Hellenistic I suppose that this handle is Hellenistic indeed.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity