Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian 1st issue Denarius OTD  (Read 1005 times)

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Hadrian 1st issue Denarius OTD
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:22 pm »
Added a particularly nice and scarce Denarius of Hadrian. This coin is interesting because it is part of the earliest issue of coins for Hadrian at Rome after taking the throne. As he was not in Rome at the time of ascension, and the mint took no chances in throwing every flattering title that Trajan had enjoyed at Hadrian from the get go. We can see that very quickly, word from Hadrian got back to the mint to dail back the heinie smooching just a bit. The style of his earliest of portraits on denarii is usually quite good as well. I have a very similar example in my gallery already, the difference being my other example has a cuirassed bust, they carry the exact same legend front and back.

Hadrian Denarius Concordia 2

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-119016

Thanks for looking my friends,

Dave

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Hadrian 1st issue Denarius OTD
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:16 pm »
Very interesting write up / history lesson along with a very stern looking Hadrian.  They gave him extra titles and perhaps an extra adam's apple:)  Really nice coin.

Nemo

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:34 am »
Nice coin Dave ..
Congratulation..
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Daniel R6

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:04:48 pm »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the coin along with a little of the background behind it.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:43:07 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. It's always nice to hear your thoughts!

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:23:47 am »
Hadrian looks very serious, as if he has no illusions about the nature of power. I think the reverse is particularly revealing in terms of Roman propaganda. I read the meaning of the appearance Concordia, Spes and a cornucopia together as- if there is concord among us there is hope for a prosperous future.

A very interesting coin Dave, and a wonderful contrast to the portraits on his later denari.

Best regards,
Steve   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity