Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Beginning of the use of silver tirian  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Mauro Coca C

• Praetorian
Beginning of the use of silver tirian
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:34:31 am »

Hello guys!

I'm a new member in first post.
I would like to know when the temple tax was established on silver tyrians?
Anibody knows?

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Re: Beginning of the use of silver tirian
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 04:00:35 pm »
Tyrian shekalim were first minted apparently in ca. 127 BCE, shortly after Hyrcanus I
gained power in ca. 132 BCE. It is unclear when Tyrian coins began to be used commonly as the Temple Tax, but it was likely during the Hasmonean period, perhaps under Hyrcanus I. Keep in mind that it does not appear that Tyrian coins were required by fiat.

See for example Schafer, The History of the Jews in Antiquity (preview) or Regev, The Hasmoneans: Ideology, Archaeology, Identity (preview).
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity