Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bird on signet ring (5)  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Bird on signet ring (5)
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:05:16 pm »
Other Roman rings

What bird  are these?
Idea ?
Thanks
ser

Offline Podiceps

• Praetorian
Re: Bird on signet ring (5)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:38:15 am »
Songbird signet rings (2): all depicted birds are different but clearly passerines with relatively long tails and some also have a rather heavy build for a songbird. The branches and some of the beaks indicate that the main idea is that they are songbirds - and for the Romans that signified the bountiful nature, on the top of just looking nice. The branch also disqualifies some relatively long-tailed birds such as the swallows. Therefore, I would focus on good singers and that still leaves a wide variety of candidates. As the rings are quite different, I might suggest different species for each depicted individual bird, but I guess you are not asking for a such list of species. In other words, I am not aware that any single bird species symbolised or had the monopoly for the idea of "songbird" for Romans and would, therefore, be represented in so many different forms in these rings. Anyway, I would be glad to hear other interpretations/ points of view or correction if I am mistaken.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity