Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient ceramic vessel??  (Read 7312 times)

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Ancient ceramic vessel??
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:52:25 pm »
Anyone has any idea as to what this might be? Origin? How old?

Regards

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Ancient ceramic vessel??
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:43:46 am »
Any information on size and place/region of origin?

I know very little about ancient pottery but it looks superficially similar to pieces I have seen in the Middle east (and adverstised on Israeli dealers' sites) as "juglets" circa 1000BC.  As the term juglets indicates those items were quite small.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:11:24 am »
Shawn: thanks for the reply. The size is 11,5 cm high and 8 cm wide, so it´s quite smal.
/Pierre

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:04:21 pm »
At that size, I'd call it a plain aryballos, probably Classical period, but I don't know which pottery center to assign it to.  Pat L.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:13 am »
I looked through one my of Middle Eastern catalogues and the form (lip, handle arrangment, button on bottom) is exactly like the Tel el-Yahudiyeh type clay juglet, middle bronze age Israel, 1730-1550 BC.  They seem to range from 17.5 to 9.0 cm tall.   

Some were brown-grey-red fabric with simple comb decoration in registers with chevrons or parallel lines.  Other were plain with red or light yellow slip.

There might be later classical era equivalents too as Slokind notes, but it is certainly an exact match for the Tel -el-Yehudiyeh type.

Did it come from a Israel or "holy land" dealer?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:37:26 pm »
Since the Greeks in the 10-7cBCE borrowed that shape from the Eastern Mediterranean, I willingly yield to someone who has a book for Tell el Judeideh (which maybe is the same place).  Whether it is MBA or later, made for a Greek trading colony or for autochthonous town, I could not tell, and it might need personal examination by someone who's participated in excavations there.   Only, I don't think it's late.
Pat L.

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:12:12 am »
Pat and Shawn: thank you for your help! Now that I have some indications as to wht it might be I had tryed the Internet for information. Ofcourse it is possible that it needs personal examination as Pat suggests, but it does have a very strong resemblance to the Tell el-Yahudiyeh ware. Compare for instave the pic bellow, that I borrowed from this site

http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/pottery/tellyahu.html

Some information here too

http://www.archaeowiki.org/Tell_el-Yehudiyeh_Ware

Regards
/Pierre

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 12:29:53 pm »
Pat has hit the nail on the head.  Needs expert examination.  Just because it could pass at initial inspection for a Tel el-Yehudiya type doesn't mean that the same features were not in use by others hundreds of years later.  Anyway it gives you a research start.  Any thought of getting it properly cleaned to see if there is decoration under?

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 12:42:05 am »
But that rotello work applied in groups to make an overall zigzag pattern is, I think, decisive.  Not that I've even been at a Near Eastern excavation.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity