Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID Roman god ...  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
Help ID Roman god ...
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:50:19 pm »
Hi

I apologize for going out of the subject of coins.
I would like to identify this small mask (which served probably as brooch and which represents maybe a Roman god). Has anybody an idea of the fact that it could be?

Thanks

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Help ID Roman god ...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:23 am »
There were not a lot of bald Greco-Roman divinities; Silenos is a major exception -- see

http://www.museum.upenn.edu/Greek_World/pottery_big-36.html and
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

On the other hand, your fellow looks more distinguished than usual for Silenos; perhaps he is Socrates, who in some ways looked much like Silenos (Alcibiades' comment in Plato's Symposium) but with ample inner merits to make up for it.  It could also be Homer or some other cultural icon, a sage or a poet; Aeschylos was so famously bald that a bird was supposed to have killed him by trying to crack turtles on his forehead.  As for your brooch, it was probably a high-brow status-symbol of sorts, or at least middle-brow; compare modern-day half-busts of Beethoven.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:09:08 am »
Thank you archivum

I believe that you are right: it is possible whether it is Silenos. I see that he has the same horns on the head. ;D

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:45:23 am »
I have an idea that those bumps on the forehead are parts of a garland, perhaps knots or florettes; consider this fresco from the Villa of the Mysteries, Pompeii:
[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:33:15 pm »
Look at this photo. I have the impression that they are horns: two on the side and one in the middle.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity