Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Daily Quiz 18 Aug. Five coins/one man  (Read 1000 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Daily Quiz 18 Aug. Five coins/one man
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:47:08 am »
In today's image are five reverses of Roman Imperial coins.  All five obverses show the same emperor. 

1.  Who is on all five of these coins?

There are two ways to get this one.  One and only one coin of these five has a reverse used only by this ruler.  If you ID that one, you have the answer.  There is also at least one combination of two of the other coins in which both can only belong to one man even though either was shared with other emperors.  If you can't get the single coin, you might get the overlapping pair.

2. (Harder) Notice I said all show the same emperor not that the coins were issued by that emperor.  Which of these coins were issued by someone other than the man shown on the obverse.

Please wait until August 19th to answer.   

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Daily Quiz 18 Aug. Five coins/one man
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:36:23 am »
The  :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Gamma:. :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Iota:. in the exergue of the lower central coin is a give away!

Jochen

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:11:37 am »
Not for me it isn't as I don't collect late antoniniani/radiates. But a commemorative and a British made coin are good indications for me.

Frans

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:04:41 am »
Well, the top left coin is the first clue.  It was struck by Constantine I but not for himself.  Instead it was struck with three different obverses to honour his (supposed) ancestors - Claudius II "Gothicus" (whom he claimed, tenuously, descent from); Maximinus Heraclius (his father in law, even though he had him killed); and Constantius I Chlorus (dear old dad).

So we have three choices. 

We must eliminate Claudius Gothicus as none of the other coins are even a remote match - he only struck small radiate antoniniani 268 - 270.

The lower left and lower middle coins were struck for Maximianus but pre-date Constantius.

Thus it must be Maximianus Herculius.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »
I had it narrowed down to the three possible emperors from the commemorative, but I confess I didn't get any farther.  Good one Doug.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:29 am »
The give away was the lower middle which was from the  :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Rho:    :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon:   :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Iota:  series and could only be Maximinianus.  Eliminating that one, the lower left coin could be Diocletian or CarausiusCarausius fits none of the others but Diocletian is only ruled out by the upper left which was issued by Constantine for his favorite family members (real, adoptive or imaginary makes little difference here).   

I figured that few people would recognize the single give away coin but the question is answerable if you remove it and both of the right side coins which allow too many choices. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity