Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A rare governor under Antoninus Pius at Philippopolis  (Read 4856 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
A rare governor under Antoninus Pius at Philippopolis
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »
AY[T] ANTΩNEI - NOC CEB EYCEB Bust laureate left with Medusa head on neck and portion of aegis with snakes over near shoulder.

HΓEM Γ ΓAΛΛΩNI ΦP - ONTΩNOC ΦIΛIΠΠOΠO River god (Hebros) reclining left holding cornucopia and reed, left elbow on urn from which water flows, four small V-shaped plants growing in the water, prow of ship behind the god's legs.

AE 30, 21.33g, die axis 6h. Ex CNG E294, 16 Jan. 2013, lot 439; see their image below. Varbanov 702, citing G. Hirsch 231, 2003, lot 702 (same dies as the CNG piece). RPC temp. 7426, citing two specimens in Sofia, without picture.

Some details of earlier descriptions can be corrected on the basis of the fine new CNG piece. What Pius wears on his shoulder is not a fold of his cloak (RPC, Varbanov), but an aegis with Medusa head and snakes. The river god holds a cornucopia in his right hand, not an "uncertain object" (RPC), a Victory (Hirsch cat.), or a branch (Varbanov). The four small plants in the water below the god have apparently not been noticed before; I wonder whether they recur in other river-god types on coins. The cornucopia seemed to me an unusual attribute for a river god, but RPC describes and illustrates several other river-god types with cornucopias under Pius at Philippopolis, and Varbanov 654 also describes one, though without image.

Gargilius Antiquus is the one reasonably common governor on the coins of Philippopolis under Pius: he was the latest governor of the reign, since on coins of Hadrianopolis and Perinthus he is named as still being governor under the succeeding emperors, Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus. There are also inscriptions showing him as governor both in the final year of Pius' reign, TR P XXIIII = 161 AD, and under Lucius Verus as Augustus. See A. Stein, Römische Reichsbeamte der Provinz Thrakia, 1920, pp. 24- 27.  

The coins of Philippopolis also name four other governors of Thrace under Pius, all considerably rarer than Gargilius Antiquus. For G. Gallonius Fronto, the governor on the new CNG piece, Varbanov records this coin, two other river-god types, two Homonoia standing, a Tyche standing, and an empeor on horseback, all probably known in only a couple of specimens each.

Fronto must have been governor after 145 AD, because one of the obverse dies used for him at Philippopolis calls Pius YΠA Δ, that is COS IIII, Pius' last consulship which he assumed in 145. This title on the coins, Stein informs us, was first correctly read by Münsterberg in 1915. The die in question is that illustrated by Varbanov 699 and 700. Unfortunately Varbanov still hasn't got the reading right, claiming that the legend ends with EYCEB TI AN in one case and EYCEY TI AΔ in the other, neither of which makes any sense!

It may not have been noticed before that the same left-facing obverse die with aegis shown by the CNG coin was also used for another governor, M. Pontius Sabinus, Varbanov 706 and 708, both with photos. Therefore Sabinus was very likely either the immediate predecessor or the immediate successor of Gallonius Fronto as governor of Thrace under Antoninus Pius. That is a small step forward: Stein could only say that Sabinus had been governor at some unknown date under Pius. I would think that a thorough study of the "gubernatorial" bronzes of Pius at Philippopolis might well establish a firm relative order for the four rare governors named on the coins, the fifth and commoner governor, Gargilius Antiquus, certainly being the last of them.

Stein points out that our G. Gallonius Fronto was probably a relative of the well-known general and praetorian prefect Turbo under Hadrian, since an inscription shows that Turbo's full name was Julius Priscus Gallonius Fronto Q. Marcius Turbo Publicius Severus.
Curtis Clay

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: A rare governor under Antoninus Pius at Philippopolis
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:36:36 am »
Nice write up Curtis.

Gargilius Antiquus is the one reasonably common governor on the coins of Philippopolis under Pius: he was the latest governor of the reign, since on coins of Hadrianopolis and Perinthus he is named as still being governor under the succeeding emperors, Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus. There are also inscriptions showing him as governor both in the final year of Pius' reign, TR P XXIIII = 161 AD, and under Lucius Verus as Augustus. See A. Stein, Römische Reichsbeamte der Provinz Thrakia, 1920, pp. 24- 27.

Interesting that there are no examples of this governor at Philippopolis for Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus.  I doubt there were any. Mionnet in Supp. II p. 451 1466 records a river-god reverse under  Marcus Aurelius for Gargilius Antiquus (citing Vaillant), but I agree with Stein that this is unlikely. Even from Philippopolis during the zenith of large signed provincial bronzes there are lacunae in the continuity of gubernatorial succession with various emperors.

Attached are my example of Gargilius Antiquus under Verus issued at Pautalia and one from Lanz Auction 102 (28.05.2001) lot 643.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-84000

Fronto must have been governor after 145 AD, because one of the obverse dies used for him at Philippopolis calls Pius YΠA Δ, that is COS IIII, Pius' last consulship which he assumed in 145. This title on the coins, Stein informs us, was first correctly read by Münsterberg in 1915. The die in question is that illustrated by Varbanov 699 and 700.

Very interesting indeed!
Moushmov does not record this obverse legend variant in his monograph on Philippopolis (1924) and only knew rev types Tyche, equestrian and river-god.

JPW

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:59:36 pm »
Thanks for your comments and additions, JPW!

In commenting on the fact that Antiquus was governor both under Pius and under Marcus and Lucius, I overlooked Stein's words "die von Pautalia aus beiden Regierungen", so failed to mention the important fact that Pautalia was the only mint to strike coins mentioning Antiquus as governor during both reigns! One such coin of Pautalia, for Lucius Verus, you have shown from your own collection and a Lanz sale.
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:37:04 pm »
OYΠIAC not OYΛΠIAC is an engraver's error (omitted Λ) that deserves a (sic) in the gallery description of your Lucius Verus, wouldn't you agree?

Varb. 4493, like you, transcribes the error correctly but neglects to add (sic). RPC 8837 illustrates a BM coin from the same dies, but mistakenly writes OYΛΠIAC, overlooking the error.
Curtis Clay

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 02:25:03 am »
Actually Ruzicka and Varbanov both miss the engraver's error and record it as OYΛΠIAC.  I transcribed it correctly but failed to note the orthography mistake.    I also had Ruzicka 157 instead of 158 as my attribution. I have corrected it! I shall update my notes regarding this matter.  Thanks Curtis!

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:12 pm »
Actually Ruzicka and Varbanov both miss the engraver's error and record it as OYΛΠIAC.

Ruzicka 158 yes, writes OYΛΠIAC though his pl. IV.14 clearly shows the Λ omitted.

Recheck Varbanov 4493, however: I think you'll find OYΠIAC, omitting the Λ, unless you have a different edition than I do!
Curtis Clay

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:47:13 pm »
You're right Curtis, Varbanov does omit the Λ. 

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 10:48:16 am »
I just discovered this interesting thread.

Curtis mentioned the reverse types under Fronto that are known to him so far.

Maybe I can add 2 new types, Asklepios and Athena. For both of them I couldn´t find a reference so far.

AE 30
Av.: ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC CΕΒ ΕΥCΕΒ...     laureate, draped cuirassed bust to the right
Rv.: ΗΓΕΜ Γ ΓΑΛΛΟΝΙΟΥ ΦΡΟΝΤΩΝΟC ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙ    Asklepios stdg. left, right arm pointing downwards to snake coiled around staff, left arm resting on hip
RPCO -    
19,3 g

AE 31
Av.: ΑΥΤ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙ - ΝΟC CΕΒ ΕΥCΕΒ   laureate bust with aegis to the left
Rv.: ...ΦΡΟΝΤΩΝΟC ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠΟΛΕΙΤ  Athena with Corinthian helmet stdg. frontal, head right, hldg. long reverted spear resting left hand on shield
RPC online -   (RPC has this reverse type without a magistrate´s name and a bust to the right)
22,4 g  

The obverse of my coin seems to be from the same die as Curtis´ new coin.

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »
Nice coins!  They look unpublished to me.  I was unable to find them in:

Varbanov (E) III, Mionnet Supp II, acsearch.info, SNG Cop. , BMC, Pozzi (Boutin), Lindgren II & III, or Moushmov Les Monnaies Antiques de Philippopolis (1924).

JPW

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:09 pm »
Nice coins!

Indeed.

I agree that that's the same bust left obv. die as mine.

The bust right die seems to be the YΠA Δ one, same as Varb. 699 and 700.
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 06:45:31 pm »
This question of the succession of governors of Thrace for Pius is (in my opinion) very exciting, though I can add nothing to it.  Simply having VPA  :Greek_Delta: on a Thracian coin is very interesting.  But also the coin that Curtis posted at the head of this thread is the least routine Hebros I have seen, for what my opinion is worth.
Pat L.

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 04:10:30 pm »
But also the coin that Curtis posted at the head of this thread is the least routine Hebros I have seen, for what my opinion is worth.
Pat L.

I agree. It´s a pity that I missed it in the CNG auction :(

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 04:04:38 pm »
Forvm member nenonenov has alerted me by PM of two more recent epigraphical discoveries, unknown to Stein, which help greatly with the chronology of the Thracian governorships of Gallonius Fronto and Pontius Sabinus.

First, ILBulg 211 records the construction of fortifications along the boundaries of the territory of Serdica, "for the protection of the province of Thrace", by Antoninus Pius as TR P XV (152-3 AD), while Gallonius Fronto was governor. So Fronto was certainly governor of Thrace  in 152-3 AD.

Second, Pontius Sabinus is now known to have served as suffect consul in 153 AD. He must have been governor of Thrace before then, since that governorship was an office for ex-praetors, before they advanced to the consulship. It would be hard to squeeze in a post-Frontonian governorship for Sabinus in 152-3 AD, so presumably Sabinus was governor of Thrace before Fronto, probably in the late 140s or early 150s. Nenonenov agrees that the Philippopolitan die link between Sabinus and Fronto suggests that Sabinus was Fronto's immediate predecessor or successor.

Nenonenov also points out that Antoninus Pius has an unusual form of obverse legend stressing "Pius" (EYCEBHC in Greek) under Sabinus and Fronto at Philippopolis, so

AYT ANTΩNEINOC CEB EYCEB (my coin) or

ANTΩNEINOC CEB EYCE YΠA Δ (the COS IIII legend),

whereas under other governors Antoninus' legend at Philippopolis usually omits "Pius", for example

AYT AI AΔPI ANTΩNEINOC.

One could think of a possible historical reference, perhaps to the birth of Lucilla in March 151 or Antoninus' dedication of his temple of Divus Hadrian later in 151 or in 152. RIC postulates Quindecennalia for this period, but that is just an erroneous interpretation of the long legend on Antoninus' Roman coins that in fact marks his dedication of the temple of Hadrian, as I have shown in a thread under Forvm's  Classical Numismatics. The legend change at Philippopolis is interesting, but its interpretation seems very speculative!
Curtis Clay

nenonenov

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:52 am »
An attempt of historical reconstruction of Philippopolis coinage in 152 includes:
1.   Starting of minting with Sabinus entitled ΕΠΙΜΕΛ (another evidence that put Sabinus before Fronto) and obverse inscription Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus
2.   Changing of Sabinus title from ΕΠΙΜΕΛ to ΗΓΕΜΟΝ and obverse  inscription Aelius Hadrianus Antoninus to Antoninus Eusebius, including  forth consulship (this is fact based on observation of 960 speciments for Antoninus Pius from Philippopolis!).
3.   Fronto changed Sabinus entitled ΗΓΕΜΟΝ and name of emperor remained Antoninus Eusebius.
Three events in just one minting activity!
At the time of Pius we have also following Thracia legates:
1.   Porcius Marcelus (140 – 142) – coinage from Perinthus, entitled ΕΠΙΜΕΛ;
2.   Antonius Zeno (between 140 and 148) – coinage from Philippopolis, Perinthus and Nikopolis ad Istrum (part of Thrace at that time), entitled ΕΠΙΜΕΛ.  For Philippopolis this is the first introduction of legate name on coins. At same obverse die we can see reverse dies with city name only as well as name of legate Antonius Zeno. Inscription  IGBulg V,5636. He was sufectconsul in 148.
3.   Fabius Agripinus (between 140 and 148) – coinage from Topiros, entitled ΕΠΙΜΕΛ He was sufectconsul in 148.
4.   Commodus Orfitian (154 – 155) - coinage from Topiros, Anchialus, Preinthus and Hadranopolis, entitled ΗΓΕΜΟΝ and ΕΠΙΜΕΛ. Inscriptions IGBulg IV, 1903, IGBulg IV, 1904, IGBulg III, 1401 (again erection of defensive structures). He was sufectconsul in 157.
5.   Pompeus Vopiscus (160 or  153 - 154) – coinage from Philippopolis, Pautalia and Hadranopolis, entitled ΗΓΕΜΟΝ. Despite of absence of common obverse dies for Vopiscus and Antiquis from Philippopolis I think that Antiquis was successor of Vopiscus ruling then in 160.
6.   Gargillius Antiquis (160?-161) – coinage from Philippopolis, Plotinopolis  and Pautalia for Pius and from Perinthus and Hadrianopolis for M. Aurelius, entitled ΗΓΕΜΟΝ. Mass production of coins of Philippopolis for Pius till his death in March 161 may extend ruling of Antiquis back to 160. Inscriptions IGBulg II, 606,  CIL III, 7394. He was sufectconsul in 163.

Detailed analysis of this coinage as well as of other periods could answer of some questions for  organization of Thracia provincial minting. It could make sense that traveling team of engraves served local needs moving from town to town (idea of Zograf).  As result a wave of coins production appeared for different governors and different towns in Thrace.  The only known evidence for me – common obverse die for Crispina from Philippopolis and Augusta Traiana.

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 01:04:30 pm »
I would like to show you a recently acquired coin which fits very well into this old thread.

I am so happy about it as it is struck under the rare governor M. Sabinus Pontus (whom I hadn´t a coin of so far) and shares its obverse die with the coin struck under P. Gallonius Fronto. A nice illustration of the successive rule of the two governors.

Av.: ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟC CΕΒ ΕΥCΕ ΥΠΑ Δ    
Rv.: ΗΓΕΜ Μ ΠΟΝΤ CΑΒΕΙΝΟΥ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΠ
River god reclining, looking right, resting on urn from which water flows, holding cornucopia    

RPCO 9867 = this coin.
RPC writes "authenticity doubtful", but there is nothing to doubt, it is clearly genuine.

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 10:53:10 pm »
Great coin!  You outbid me!  Although clearly genuine, I can't find a match for the reverse die.I attached a CNG coin of the same governor and reverse type but different rx die for comparison.  I think your coin has been repatinated since the  Gorny & Mosch  auction listed in RPC (19 years ago).  Beautiful and rare!

JPW

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 05:29:19 am »
I am sorry for having outbid you, but I am also happy that I could buy it. I had been outbid 19 years ago by the collector who sold his collection now. Sometimes you have to have much patience  :)
I have the catalogue from 2001 and compared the pictures with the actual coin before bidding. Although it´s difficult to decide from b/w pictures I was quite sure that the coin hadn´t been altered since the first auction. Also Dr. von Mosch confirmed that it is the original patina. It is a bit patchy with dark areas.
The CNG piece has the same obverse die. Pontius´ coinage must really be very rare as RPC knows only 3 coins struck under him.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity