Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: How to properly use NumisWiki  (Read 3366 times)

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
How to properly use NumisWiki
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:05 am »
I get fustrated trying to use NumisWiki.  I must be missing something here...

I just want to see all the articles posted, etc. and be able to browse the names and find something I want to read.  However, it seems that when you go to articles it includes every definition that links blue in the thread texts, etc.

I find it quite fustrating to find anything of use and value using NumisWiki.  Am I the only one?

Even when you just look under new articles it is just a bunch of definitions.  I don't want to search hundreds of pages to find an article amidst all the defenitions and other stuff.

The only thing I have even remotely looked at and it wasn't confusing is the library where there are some pdf books that can be looked at.

I don't necessarily know what I want to read or even what is on there so it is even hard to just search for things as well.

I sometimes get on editing pages and stuff as well and don't want to be there.  I just find the entire thing hard to use, and very......... cluttered.

Can anyone explain how to use the dang thing to me!!!????

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: How to properly use NumisWikie
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:39 am »
If you see a word in blue and don't know what it means or want to know more about it, click it.  If you don't find what is there useful, you are welcome to improve it. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
Re: How to properly use NumisWiki
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:09:13 am »
Right, but how can I find articles etc that have been posted in NumisWiki without haveing to sort through all the definitions etc. when browsing?

Does that make sense?

As far as the editing thing goes, I know it is like that so we may improve on things.

EDIT-- I look at NumisWiki and know that it is an invaluable resource, I just can't use it.  LOL.  I know it must be me, but I find the entire task of just finding an article to read very hard.  I have only browsed at the most popular articles and "for the new collector" section because they show up on the main page and I know they are going to be an article and not a definition.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:04:36 am »
I'm not sure I understand, but I think that you want to look through NumisWiki and find some good articles, not definitions?
I generally start at the homepage
The the articles on the home page can be read, and they are quite good.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:17 am »
I'm not sure I understand, but I think that you want to look through NumisWiki and find some good articles, not definitions?
I generally start at the homepage.  
The the articles on the home page can be read, and they are quite good.

Yes, but arent there many more articles?  I swear I have found some before but I had to really dig.  If i remember correctly

EDIT- or am I wrong and the 6226 articles are only definitions or little small tid-bits of info.

EDIT EDIT - Nope, there are real articles in there.  Just looked again.  Just hard to find when they are swamped in between definitions and such.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 11:31:41 am »
I think the problem is identified in the title of this thread.  There certainly is no proper way to use NumisWiki.  Yes, it is cluttered, just as the internet itself is cluttered.  It isn't in magazine format, it is in internet format - big, cluttered, without a central organization, useful, but requires searching to find what is useful.

NumisWiki is most useful to me when I see a blue word and click on it.  Or search for something in particular.  

It would be an improvement to have a better index of "articles" on the main page and resources page.  I manually typed the article lists and have rarely updated them.  If anyone wants to recommend articles for these lists, please let me know.  

We could also add the keyword "article" to "articles" but it would be difficult to maintain that idea.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:39:32 am »
I think the problem is identified in the title of this thread.  There certainly is no proper way to use NumisWiki.  Yes, it is cluttered, just as the internet itself is cluttered.  It isn't in magazine format it is in interenet format -   big, cluttered, without a central organization, useful, but requires searching to find what is useful.

NumisWiki is most useful to me when I see a blue word and click on it.  Or search for something in particular. 

It would be an improvement to have a better index of "articles" on the main page and resources page.  I manually typed the article lists and have rarely updated them.  If anyone wants to recommend articles for these lists, please let me know. 

We could also add the keyword "article" to "articles" but it would be difficult to maintain that idea. 

Aye, I figured this would be the answer.  This is what I have gathered from looking at NumisWiki.  I was hoping there was some way that I did not know to be able to search for articles.

I like the keyword idea if it would actually work.  If you don't know what you are looking for and just want to learn something and read articles, I find it a very hard resource to use.  I know there is immense information there, but as you stated you really have to "search for something in particular."

I personally would love to see a way to search just the actual articles.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:08 am »
If you read a particularly informative article that is not included in the articles index on the homepage, let me know and I will add it to the index
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity