Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Question for those who have "A coin for each emperor" type collections  (Read 7565 times)

AnemicOak

Hey all,

I'm considering adding to my list of thing to collect the somewhat 'standard' one coin for each emperor type collection.  My question is am I likely to be able to complete such a collection, in VF-EF condition (mainly EF, I'm kinda picky), for no more than a few hundred per coin (hopefully less for most)?  I realize a few will cost more, but will a lot?  I assume that Gordian I & II will cost more (less than 1K?), what else?  How about the emperors from the year of four emperors?  Others that are tough/expensive?  I'd add empresses into the conversation too, though I doubt I'll ever touch a coin for someone like Constantia.  So excluding the empresses, etc. & focusing on just the emperors for now how doable is it?

Any tips or guidlines folks tend to follow for this type of collection?

TIA

Claven2

I collect Severan Dynasty, so I can tell you that if you need EFs or better, you might have trouble with Macrinus, Diadumenian, Plautilla, Aquilia Severa, Orbiana, Julia Paula and Annia Faustina.

If you buy bronze you might do better financially, but the Silver denominations are generally much nicer :)

Annia Faustina, in particular will be a rough one to find.  Only 2 denarius issues and a medallion are known.  RSC lists the cheapest coin at 5000 pounds stirling and those are 1980's prices!

Online maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Don't forget all the Caesars and userpers. There are many of these that will cause you as much trouble as anything else and some will always be beyond most of us.
Good luck with it though! I look forwards to seeing them
Martin

Miguel Diaz

Pertinax, Didius Julianus and Pescennius coins will be expensive too ...

Hey all,

I'm considering adding to my list of thing to collect the somewhat 'standard' one coin for each emperor type collection.  My question is am I likely to be able to complete such a collection, in VF-EF condition (mainly EF, I'm kinda picky), for no more than a few hundred per coin (hopefully less for most)?  I realize a few will cost more, but will a lot?  I assume that Gordian I & II will cost more (less than 1K?), what else?  How about the emperors from the year of four emperors?  Others that are tough/expensive?  I'd add empresses into the conversation too, though I doubt I'll ever touch a coin for someone like Constantia.  So excluding the empresses, etc. & focusing on just the emperors for now how doable is it?

Any tips or guidlines folks tend to follow for this type of collection?

TIA

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
If you insist on EF, you won't complete a third of 12 caesar's collection with the price tag of a couple of hundred dollar per piece...

Below is my collection of one per head...I have 138 now; they range in price between  $15-$350; but I am not too strict on my grade requirement.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=707

AnemicOak

If you insist on EF, you won't complete a third of 12 caesar's collection with the price tag of a couple of hundred dollar per piece...

Below is my collection of one per head...I have 138 now; they range in price between  $15-$350; but I am not too strict on my grade requirement.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=707

Thanks for the info.  This is why I'm asking now, so I know what's what before I really decide to go forward, trying to find out what's realistic.  I don't want to get into something where half the coins are going to be 1-2K+.  I don't really insist on EF, but would like atleast VF.  The coins that are so worn you can barely make out who's on it just don't do much for me.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
Well, take my otho for instance, the grade is maybe F but it is somewhat plesant to look at...I think I picked it up for upper three hundred range at other firm's auction...

But for JC portrait, I can only afford an fouree :(

In my opinion though, it is worth the effort anyway because this sort of collection make you learn so much more about the empire than just collecting high grade LRBs  :)

AnemicOak

Actually I like your Otho.  It is a bit worn, but it's got nice character to it.  I'd be fine with a few of my coins looking like that one.

AnemicOak

After reading the discussion here...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=26863.0

...I can see that it nearly impossible to really complete the collection, though it would sure be interesting to try & a great history lesson along the way.

Perhaps it's not actually completing it, but the journey trying to.

gavignano

Ecoli - nice collection! I to am trying by portrait, but with a much tighter budget. Who knows how far I'll get - I'm at 40 and counting  -about 100 behind you....... :laugh:

You have some very difficult coins, many with nice eye appeal. For example the Quietus, and the Valentinian III (great for the issue).
The Otho is wonderful for the grade.
and even among the common - the Hadrian and the Helena, superb.
You must be patient to have gotten that nice of a quality.

gavignano

hey Ecoli  - a question on your Hostilian. I've got the exact same issue - I think I paid 35 USD for it. Did you try for a denarius of this person? I don't bid on CNG auctions yet, but on the evil E bay, one of my main sources, real Hostilian denarii are few, very few, far and between.

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
Thank you for the complement :) 

For a number of personalities, I can only afford provincial issues when I decided to get them.  Hostilian is one of them...

As for time needed for this collection...I started in 1991 - when I graduated from college and started to have a pay check.  Wait a bit; coins will eventually turn up.

A number of them were from a dealer which had catalogues with written descriptions; I would write out my order and fill seconds...So it's always a suprise what I got in the mail.  How I miss the old days ;)

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Perhaps it's not actually completing it, but the journey trying to.

Hi Brian,
You got it exactly.
I'm trying, through my collection, to get the better example I can for each emperor, ceasar, empress, usurper and whatever. I don't even know how many I still don't have to complete the series. But I don't mind, it's always a pleasure to have a new one in a "hole". I'm sure I will never be able to reach the goal, especially in the actual quality range that I'm used to : who cares ???

Please, have a look to my colllection, and enjoy, as I enjoy to look at yours...

Best regards
Potator

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
I think someone list it at 201 or 204 pending what you think of several uniquw coins as forgeries or not...

To complete is in any grade, I will need to win the lottery several times so I am rich enough to become a major internation crime boss so I can comission half a dozen thefts.

Methinks chances are better for the sun to rise from the west ;)

AnemicOak

Please, have a look to my colllection, and enjoy, as I enjoy to look at yours...
I love your collection Potator.  That Augustus, Posthumous as is great.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
I love your collection Potator.  That Augustus, Posthumous as is great.

Thanx Brian  8)

Potator

gavignano

Potator II - very nice collection - some very unusual pieces  - the 2 argenti are stunning - never saw that reverse on the Diocletian. All the guys on 1 reverse - this must have been from a major auction? (CNG?, Stacks?).  Joe

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
It seems interesting to think  about this style of collecting from the point of view of investment:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=28819.0

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
Potator II - very nice collection - some very unusual pieces  - the 2 argenti are stunning - never saw that reverse on the Diocletian. All the guys on 1 reverse - this must have been from a major auction? (CNG?, Stacks?).  Joe

Hi Joe,
Not even a major auction, but from a coin show in Lyon two years ago. I've been lucky as there is no flan crack, which occurs quite often wiyh such a strong strike...

Thanks for your appreciation

Regards
Potator

basemetal

Actually, I think striving for a "complete" collection is not a bad way to go as long as that goal holds your interest.  You won't ever reach it and so will have a lifetime hobby.  And by doing so the knowledge you will acquire of Roman ( or whatever your interest area is) is beyond price
The best deal I have ever gotten in collecting ancient roman coins is the continually growing body of  knowledge of Roman history that went along with it.  You can't put it in a flip, but it's so valuable and like all knowledge only opens the doors to acquiring more-knowledge, that is.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Because my collection is much more narrowly focused, so is my poster hanging above my study desk:

Massanutten

Hi all!!
    If nothing else I would have to be called an "eacher", but that is not what I was when I started.  At first I was just fascinated with this whole Roman coin and antiquities thing and found that buying 'lots' of uncleaned coins would provide the joy of trying to make heads or tails of what I had uncovered.  This led to my first purchase of a book and founded much of what is in my Late 4th century collection.  I think the first actual coin that I bought during this period was a Crispus for which I way overpaid.
   Then I found Ebay and a rapid building of the Constantinian era began.  More books.   By then I had a few nice examples of the Tetrarchy and began my first serious effort at collecting one each as Caesar and as Augustus.  That is still the one that gives me the most satisfaction.  Another book.  At this time I remember having an aversion to the third century.  Too many emperors. Too confusing.  No understanding.
   By then I had purchased a few very nice, but pricey, coins of the Julio Claudians and combed ebay to fill it out.  Then disaster struck.  I bought an Otho that was too good to be true.  Lucky, lucky me!  I had become active by then on Forum and was politely informed that it was a fake.  Actually it was the best 100 bucks I had spent so far because it taught me much on the need to be informed.  More books.  Much reading here on Forum.  Much more caution.  That drove me into a lengthy period of collecting Prov camp gates of the Constantine era.  My objective was to find one example of each for each ruler by mint and officinae.  Nice, safe and forced me to learn my RIC VII!  But lets face it. In the end it was also pure boring!!  I have maybe 250 of the buggers.  I would post them in my album to form the basis of a style study, but because you can't create sub-albums by mint it would be too messy (at least to my mind).
   Then I had begun an appreciation of the 2nd and 3rd century.  I quickly found that they were relatively cheap and more or less easy to find.  The collection continued to build and whalla.  I was an 'eacher'.
   Everything else in my album is pure serendipity, except for a few of the Greek silvers.  After all who would not be fascinated by holding a Tet of Alexander or an Athenian owl?
   Ecoli and Potator.... Just took a quick look at your albums.  Wow!  Will spend more time looking and providing comments on your coins tomarrow.
Bob

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit

Hi David!

I’ve just noticed here your ‘Personal Text:’ “The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

.. Love it! :)

Camus thought so too, as perhaps you already know.  If my memory isn’t all dust by now, in hisReturn to Tipasa.’

Best!
   Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
hey Ecoli  - a question on your Hostilian. I've got the exact same issue - I think I paid 35 USD for it. Did you try for a denarius of this person? I don't bid on CNG auctions yet, but on the evil E bay, one of my main sources, real Hostilian denarii are few, very few, far and between.

I assume you mean antoninianus, not denarius, as denarii of Hostilian do not exist. Hostilian ant's aren't that rare though. You should be able to find a nice VF example for $100 to $150.

Barry Murphy

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
   Ecoli and Potator.... Just took a quick look at your albums.  Wow!  Will spend more time looking and providing comments on your coins tomarrow.
Bob

I suggest limiting your looking to the first 4 or 5 albumns I have...the rest are, well, not organized(and with bad pictures).  When I moved close to a year ago, I made the mistake of keeping my coin id notebook apart from my coins and well, guess what went missing... I am still sorting out the mess  >:(

BTW...did the golden horde sack your place last weekend?  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity