Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What to do with extra commons?  (Read 366 times)

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
What to do with extra commons?
« on: September 28, 2022, 07:20:31 pm »
Does anyone have any good sources for trading in commons? There is no local coin shops that deal in ancients in my entire state.

You know how it is, ”oh look, another Constantine…”.

Anyway, I assume after a person cleans coins long enough the duplicates would really stack up.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: What to do with extra commons?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 08:23:13 pm »
You can send them to FORVM and we will give them to teachers.  Or you can send them on consignment for us to sell as bulk lots. Or you can sell them on the Members' Auction.

Those are the only answer that anyone can give you here. There is no trading or discussion of trading here.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 09:42:00 am »
I keep my duplicates together.

I will give some away - I have made up many sets over the years with a dozen or two coins, usually for kids of friend and co-workers.

But having multiple examples of the "same coin" can be very interesting in itself.  Lets you study things like what details change slightly and what remain the same.  You can start to see the work of individual engravers on multiple coins (and therefore dies).  There were surprisingly few working at any time.  You can study things like the size and weight of the issue, etc.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Roy W

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2022, 07:26:44 am »
Joe, understood. Thank you for the clarification. My wife is in school as an education major, and they definitely would make awesome handouts for the students on show ‘n tell day.

SC, great point. That WOULD make for an interesting study.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity