Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Unusual Macrianus antoninianus

<< < (2/3) > >>

mauseus:
Blindado,  your linked coin is from the main mint,  not the second mint.  It is neater and also has the AEQVTAS legend.  The second mint is only known to me with AEQVITAS.

Regards,

Mauseus

AMICTUS:

According to H. Mattingly’ s article of 1954 -page 59-, there is also, from the second mint (crude style), at least for Quietus, a reverse  INDVLGENTIAE AVGG with  the mark U / * .

A mint with a crude style also operated for Gallienus with at least the following reverse legends: RESTITVT ORIENTIS and VICTORIA AVG with different marks (dots, crescent, wreath).

mauseus:

--- Quote from: AMICTUS on September 17, 2022, 05:36:07 am ---
According to H. Mattingly’ s article of 1954 -page 59-, there is also, from the second mint (crude style), at least for Quietus, a reverse  INDVLGENTIAE AVGG with  the mark U / * .

--- End quote ---

I have the article and  need to cross reference that.  Thanks for the reminder.

Mauseus

Luuk S:

--- Quote from: mauseus on September 17, 2022, 04:04:08 am ---Hi,
I've a collection of 11 coins of Macrianus and Quietus in my FORVM gallery,  including an example of the secondary mint Iovi under discussion.

It is not listed in RIC but,  more significantly,  not listed in MIR. The joy of the numbering system in MIR allows for missing types to be accommodated.  It would be 1735p in that volume had Goebl encountered it.

The coins of the cruder,  secondary mint can be grouped into three series,  depending on the field marks observed.  Below is a draft unfinished arrangement of the mint,  with MIR references.

I have been working on preparatory notes to publish a paper on the revolt and coinage of these two characters,  but that is some way off.

Regards,

Mauseus

--- End quote ---

Hi Mauseus, our antoniniani have matching obverse dies  :) see picture overlap below. The coins were thus probably struck (at most) a few days apart.

gr Luuk

mauseus:
I hadn't checked,  but yes,  obverse die duplicates. This thread has inspired me to finish the paper I  started writing several years ago.

Regards,
Mauseus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version