Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Advice on Ephesus AR tetartemorion  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Advice on Ephesus AR tetartemorion
« on: July 08, 2022, 03:30:39 pm »
I just received a lot of seven Ephesus tetartemorions from Forum. As with most coins I get from Joe, they look much better in hand than the photo (below is the Forum photo), so I was very pleasantly surprised. I do not normally by many duplicates of the same types (with exception of Phillip II of Macedon youthful horsemen with the varying marks under the horse). I have a major attraction to Ephesos, so I went with a lot like this.

I may give some away to grandkids and even a friend or two, I have a few other small coins, but these are the smallest by far. It is really amazing how much detail is visible, even at this tiny size. My question is how do people display and store such coins? They arrived in one flip, which seems fine, especially if I part with two or three. Or would people do a separate flip for each? I have room to do that but having them in one flip seems fine or may even be the better option.

These are all pretty sweet little coins.

Thanks,
Virgil

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Advice on Ephesus AR tetartemorion
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 11:34:37 am »
Good Day Virgil,

Very nice "haul". Yes, Joe's coins are always wonderful.

I personally store all of my coins, no matter how small, individually in archival flips. I bend the flip into as much of a 90 degree angle as possible and on the bottom I insert the coin and on the top I insert a tag containing whatever write-up/information that I can fit.

Congrats on some wonderful coins.

All the best,

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 05:41:39 pm »
Thanks Tracy,

I store my coins same as you. These coins are so small and are all the same type and they look pretty good in one flip.Better than I thought they world. I may see what separate flips for each looks like. This is one of the few times I have bought a lot of all the same types and I find it interesting. It makes me not as hesitant to get duplicates, since even dupes are usually all different, as these are. My first inclination was to separate them, but then started thinking about it.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 01:52:14 pm »
These tiny fractions do present some storage difficulties, as they are thin enough to slide right out of the flips. My solution is to place the coin in a coin bag, then put that into the flip. This way the coin won't slide out, and it's easier to find in the carpet if it should.
Helps prevent abrasion too.

~ Peter

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 06:38:00 pm »
That is a good idea. With seven in the current flip, every time I pick it up they slide all over the place. Is there a specific type of bag that would be neutral in terms of chemicals that you are aware of?

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 07:17:17 pm »
I tore the label off of mine and I don't remember the brand, but I remember it specifically said pvc free (or perhaps it was 'archival') in the description.
I still don't use them for bronze coins though. But then there's usually no need.

~ Peter

Offline Brennos

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 04:56:31 pm »
I store my fractions in the smallest Leuchtturm capsules. They are easier to handle and to find in case of a fall :)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 06:08:48 pm »
That looks like a great option, too.

Thanks,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity