Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Thessaly Puzzle. Pherai?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Another Thessaly Puzzle. Pherai?
« on: January 23, 2022, 10:43:08 pm »
Here is my latest Thessaly coin I am trying to pin down. At first, I was thinking Larissa due to the facing nymph. But, I don't think so, mainly because of the angle of the lance held by the horseman on the reverse. For now, I think this one is Pherai, most likely Rogers 533 because of the small size. I found a Rogers 531 on Wildwinds, but no 533, Similar coins, but the 533 fits into the size of mine.

AE15, 3.15 grams

Rogers 531 is more like AE18. There are a couple similar Larissa coins, but none with the correct lance. And a few in Rogers Pherai that are also close, but I am going with Rogers 533 for mine. What do you think?

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Another Thessaly Puzzle. Pherai?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:40:57 pm »
Hi Virgil,

I believe that you are correct to attribute this bronze Thessalian coin to Pherai. Again, consulting HGC 4 your coin appears to be bronze denomination C/D (14 - 16mm, 2.35 - 4.44g) no. 569: obv. head of Hypereia facing ¾ left wreathed with reeds, rev. Ennodia charging on horseback right. No. 569 references Rogers 533 (as well as 532) as well as BCD Thessaly II Lot 718. See here: https://issuu.com/cngcoins/docs/bcd_triton_xv_virtual_catalog

All the best!

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 02:18:18 pm »
Thanks so much Tracy, I will check those links out.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 04:22:11 pm »
Tracy,
Just looked at the Triton BCD link and went back and compared it to my Rogers. I cannot find HCG 4 online, but it looks like a worthwhile book and series. I couldn't find a copy in Joe's shop. I was kind of amazed at what the Triton coin went for, especially given the estimate. Mine is nowhere near the same condition, but what I paid for mine was almost nothing. I hope there are some more gems in that lot. LOL. I have never seen any of the HCG books, do you recommend them?

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 07:37:41 pm »
Hi Virgil,

If you look up HGC in Numiswiki you will be taken to an informational page about the series. From the opening statement: “Classical Numismatic Group, Inc., in conjunction with Oliver Hoover, is publishing a series of handbooks on Greek coinage. This project was conceived in 2008 and the first volume was published in 2009. Subsequent volumes are scheduled to appear in the next few years. Each volume covers a specific area of Greek coinage, and 13 volumes will be published. The series includes estimated values for the coin types listed.”

I think that it is a wonderful series and a monumental undertaking. If there is an area of Greek coinage in which you have a special interest, then I recommend purchasing that particular volume. Given my keen interest in the silver coinage of Larissa I purchased volume 4 a few years ago. I would love to have all 13 volumes in my library.

Yes, realized price vs. estimate can often be a bit of a shocker.  ;D

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 07:57:34 pm »
Tracy,
Thanks for the response. They do look like good books. I am feeling a purchase of HCG 4 coming for sure. Price is not so high as to scare me off. These Thessaly coins are my first serious foray in to mainland Greece coins outside of Macedon, as I concentrate on Asia Minor. But, the fun of learning about Thessaly as I work through these coins is a lot of fun and I really like the coins. Rogers I really love, as old as it is.

Take care,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 08:15:14 pm »
I just ordered HGC Vols 4 and 7. I am looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks again,
Virgil

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 11:33:35 pm »
There is a beautiful stater of Pherai which is stylistically very reminiscent of the famous Larissa portraits (which in turn seem to be based on the classic Arethusas of Syracuse).
These Pherai coins also have the image of Hekate, also with an equestrian reverse.
The cult of Hekate was very strong in Thessaly, although sometimes as Ennodia or Brimo.

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=182672

~ Peter

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 11:43:51 pm »
Hi Enodia,
I have read that Ennodia is often associated with or, perhaps a better way to say it, are equivalent to Hecate, Artemis, and Persephone. A local goddess with wider implications, perhaps. I am not familiar with the name Brimo. Prior to this, I was not familiar with Ennodia except maybe very peripherally as in I have heard the name. I am familiar with Hecate, Artemis (my favorite Goddess), and Persephone.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity