Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need HGC7 reference for Ariarathes VII, Simonetta 7b  (Read 621 times)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Need HGC7 reference for Ariarathes VII, Simonetta 7b
« on: January 06, 2022, 10:25:56 pm »
I'm hoping someone with a copy of HGC7 can check something for me. 

I purchased an example of an Ariarathes VII drachm, corresponding to Simonetta 7b, regnal year 10.  The coin (which is en route in the mail) is a good match for the plates I found of Simonetta 7b in Mørkholm's The coinages of Ariarathes VI and Ariarathes VII of Cappadocia (1978) and the plate in Catalog of Greek Coins in the British Museum - Galatia, Cappadocia, and Syria (reference No. 5, Ariarathes VII). 

That said, I'd like to know the HGC7 reference for the coin, and I'm not sure there is one.  googling around turned up that HGC 831 corresponds to Simonetta references 3-6, and HGC 832 corresponds to Simonetta 10. Assuming HGC7 followed a similar chronology to the previously accepted Simonetta reference (which I have on JSTOR),  then it would look like HGC overlooked Simonetta 7 though 9 (???).

Can someone pls check for me if Simonetta 7 (there is actually a 7a and 7b with minor differences) is represented in HGC7? 

The coin should have an A superimposed over a Y in the inner left field, and an Omega over a capital Epsilon in the inner right field, I in exergue, like this:

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Need HGC7 reference for Ariarathes VII, Simonetta 7b
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 11:23:56 pm »
Dear Ron C2 and Board,

I do not have any of Hoover's HGC works, but from the little that I do know about them, I doubt he would have recorded the monograms for your drachm.  The date he may have, which might help make sense of the perceived inconsistencies you encountered in the literature. 

If need be, you can pose your question to Mr. Hoover directly.  I have his e-mail address if you need it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan 

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:35:22 pm »
Thanks Mark, would you mind messaging me the address?

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 12:55:42 am »

HGC7 831 refers to Simonetta 3 - 6.
HGC7 832 refers to Simonetta 7a - 9 and 11 - 13.

Pekka K

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 08:46:30 am »
That's really helpful Pekka! So 832 is fairly encompassing.

I need to get a copy.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity