Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SBCV 0111 with normal (i.e. non-retrograde) epsilon  (Read 976 times)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
SBCV 0111 with normal (i.e. non-retrograde) epsilon
« on: December 13, 2021, 11:42:28 am »
Has anyone seen one like this before? I can't find an example in my usual reference books. Diameter = 14mm, weight = 2.44g

Bill R.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: SBCV 0111 with normal (i.e. non-retrograde) epsilon
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 10:26:00 pm »
very cool reverse, I wonder what  the character below the sitter is?
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 01:50:44 am »

River god swimming, common on Roman Provincial coins from Antioch.

Pekka K

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 08:16:01 pm »
The reverse is the city's Tyche, based on a famous statue by Eutychides which may date back to the city's founding by Seleucis Nicanor. Eutychides depicted Tyche draped and veiled, with a turret crown, holding a palm branch, seated on a rock (representing Mount Silpius), and with a river god (the spirit of the river Orontes) swimming at her feet. As Pekka K said, the imagery appears on a number of Antiochene Roman Provincial coins - have a look at my gallery https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7272. But I've always thought it remarkable that this pagan symbolism persists into the Byzantine era with issues under Justin I and Justinian I.  Actually, this little pentanummium is one of the most common 6th century coins, so it must have been produced in vast numbers.  But the mark of value is always represented as  :reversedepsilon:. The coin in this thread is the first I've come across with a normal large  :Greek_epsilon:.

Bill R.

Offline Kevin P

• Praetorian
  • IC-XC NIKA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 08:32:56 pm »
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the post.  I have seen a few of these, but don't own one myself. Here is a photo from an example on Labarum.info listed under Sear 111 var (no weight or diameter given). Seems to be very rare.

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 11:36:52 am »
Thank you, Kevin, that's very helpful.

Bill R.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity