Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

Recommendations for books regarding Sasanian Empire coinage?

(1/2) > >>

Julia B:
I’ve been looking into collecting Sasanian coins for a while. I have tried to do some searching for Sasanian coinage books that will be useful in identifying mints, rulers, designs, examples, etc. but I’m not sure which book serves useful for that or not and some of the prices online are a little bit out of my price range for me. It’s generally hard to even find any books of that topic to begin with anyways. If anyone has any recommendations or helpful resources I greatly appreciate it.

Virgil H:
Hi Julia B,
I don't know much about Sasanian coins outside of the interest I have in them as having conquered Elymais and that the coins are quite beautiful. The Forum Numiswiki has a pretty nice entry on Sasanian coins with lists of various references: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=sasanian. That might be a good start.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way, there are others here who will have much more knowledge than I.

Virgil

Julia B:
I’ll be sure to take a look at the resources and references. And Thank you for the warm welcome!

Tracy Aiello:
Hello Julia B,

Sasanian coinage is a wonderful area, so rich and with many coins quite affordable. I am currently very far from home, and thus very far from my library. In addition, my online access is spotty and basically limited to my cell phone. Nonetheless, I will work up a reply regarding fundamental sources (or at least what I take to be fundamental sources) and post it as a reply in this thread. This might take me a week or more, so please check back.

Thanks, and all the best.

Tracy

Julia B:
Thank you so much! Take all the time you need. I appreciate you taking the time to gather sources.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version