Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antique Inkwell Featuring Greek (imitation) Coin  (Read 1082 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Antique Inkwell Featuring Greek (imitation) Coin
« on: November 27, 2021, 04:26:34 pm »
I didn't know where to share this interesting coin-related item.  While it is a metal antique (though not an antiquity) its interest here is not itself but the "coin" it incorporates.

This is a brass inkwell, likely from the 19th century, with a coin inside the lid.

Careful examination of the coin image reveals some places where the silvering has worn somewhat revealing brass color underneath.

I would be interested in views on the coin it is modeled after and what type of imitation this is. It seems to be too high quality to be cast (the detail is even sharper than the images imply), so struck in brass?  Electrotype??

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Antique Inkwell Featuring Greek (imitation) Coin
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 04:38:43 pm »

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 05:31:05 pm »
Interesting, thanks.  It certainly looks like it, especially the second with the ribbons.

I would have initially guessed it was from the Bactrian successors.  (Guess who has yet to actually read his copy of the Davis & Kraay's Hellenistic Kingdoms, Portrait Coins and History!)

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 07:33:37 pm »
very cool

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 08:14:13 pm »
I guess there is no chance of seeing the reverse. That would be interesting.

Virgil

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 05:44:49 am »
No sign of any fastening so it must be glued or soldered on.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 05:31:54 pm »
If it is indeed an imitation, it may have no reverse, especially if it were made for this particular purpose or for similar types of things where the reverse would never be seen. Is there a way to see if the reverse is absolutely flat against the lid or if it may be uneven because of reverse relief? Or, I may be overthinking the entire thing. Such a cool item as I still use fountain pens and fill them from a bottle inkwell with a lid, spilling ink is one of those things you never want to happen. LOL. I also have a few old glass inkwells from the late 19th century that I found in an old dump in South Africa along with lots of other cool bottles and a few other interesting things like a metal soldier and a bone or ivory toothbrush.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 05:54:22 pm »
It is raised a little from the back so likely is not flat.

I use it for a small glass in vial - which I keep corked unless I am using it.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 12:55:43 am »
I didn't know where to share this interesting coin-related item.  While it is a metal antique (though not an antiquity) its interest here is not itself but the "coin" it incorporates.

This is a brass inkwell, likely from the 19th century, with a coin inside the lid.

Careful examination of the coin image reveals some places where the silvering has worn somewhat revealing brass color underneath.

I would be interested in views on the coin it is modeled after and what type of imitation this is. It seems to be too high quality to be cast (the detail is even sharper than the images imply), so struck in brass?  Electrotype??

SC

Won't be surprised in the least if it's a geniune coin. When this object likely was made such coins were of negligible value. I have seen a similar item, a brass box, made in the 1940s with a real Alexander tetradrachm atop the lid's handle.

PtolemAE

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 08:27:42 am »
It's the brass color that can be seen on areas of wear - like the a couple of curls, the earlobe and the cheek - that keep from from getting excited that it might be a genuine coin.  Whatever it is it appears to be silver-plated brass.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 10:40:27 am »
It could si have been cleaned with a brass brush that left surface deposits?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity