Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Roman Set  (Read 975 times)

Jj W

Unknown Roman Set
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:48:26 pm »
(I'm pasting this same intro into all my first posts to level set. Thanks for your patience)
-----------------

Hello all,

I'm new here.  Please be kind :)

So I recently found out about auctions for ancient coins and artifacts.  I've mostly just been buying things that feel interesting or give me a good feeling.  I have always loved archeology and history, and also been a minor coin collector since childhood.

I'm not really collecting as an investment, more as a form of time travel.  I just love touching and holding these objects and imagining who may have held it when it was newer.  Having some kind of historical context to these objects is what I am mostly after. 

Also, I am strongly interested in attempting to restore everything to as close to what it looked like when it was new(er).  I don't want to destroy anything, but I also do want to be "aggressive" in the restoration efforts in an attempt to do so.

-----------------

So with this unknown coin set ($132) I'm looking for

1. Any info you all might think about it.
     a. There was nothing in the auction description
     b. There is good face detail on all of them
     c. One of them seems to be gold in color, so is that maybe brass or something else?
     d. Any idea more info on these?
2. Best advice to attempt to restore it.
     a. Is there any hope at bringing out any further details?
     b. How do I deal with brass vs bronze?

Thank you for reading and I really do appreciate your time and look forward to learning more and being part of your community.

All the best,
JJ Walker

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Unknown Roman Set
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:38:30 pm »
Do you own these coins already?

Also, there is a rule here - one coin per thread please.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 08:17:40 pm »
My advice: save your money. They are not worth it.
PeteB

Jj W

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:33:50 am »
Do you own these coins already?

Also, there is a rule here - one coin per thread please.

Sorry about that.  I learned that too late.  I'll be reposting individually with hopefully better photos.

Yah I bought these already.  Mostly just because it was early in my journey.  It'd be nice to at least be able to know the faces.  If they are entirely unattributable I may do something fun with them.  Maybe some kind of treasure hunt game for the kids.

Jj W

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 10:36:17 am »
My advice: save your money. They are not worth it.
PeteB

Thank you for the reply.  Sadly I've already spent the money.  If I cannot attribute them I may do some kind of treasure hunt for the kids or something fun for Halloween.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 12:55:35 am »
Welcome, I have seen a few of your posts. You will learn a lot here if you read the various threads as they come up, as well as posting your own questions. I think most new collectors go through making mistakes, paying too much, buying fakes from that well known auction site, etc. As we always like to say, know the coin or know the dealer. The shop here that hosts these forums is one you can trust. I would never buy anything on that well known auction site. Of course, there are other good dealers out there and good auction houses. And coins seem to be going up in price, too, like everything else, I guess. I watched a couple of auctions recently and couldn't believe the prices that were being paid. I didn't stand a chance. One thing I have noticed is that some of the well known auction houses (that specialize in coins and have good reputations) get some of what I consider ridiculous prices. It almost seems like a crap shoot. Joe's prices here on Forum are reasonable, even if they have also gone up like everywhere else. LOL.

The thing I don't understand is your desire to restore/clean/make shiny these old coins with centuries of patina. Most of us do not think coins treated this way look better. They look artificially enhanced. Drastic cleaning will also reduce their value. Obviously, you can do what ever you want to do, but very few people would agree that it enhances the coins or other items. Some coins may be cleaned if they have dirt or deposits on them, there are threads here on that. I use distilled water and gentle techniques and many coins cannot be cleaned much more as they already have been. And patinas are not desirable to remove. As an example of failed restoration, I have two authentic Zulu assegais that I got over 50 years ago when I lived in South Africa. Not ancient, but antiques. The blades were totally rusty, so I had them chromed back in the day. Biggest mistake ever, I would give anything to have those rusty blades back again. Not only did I hurt their value, but, in retrospect, they looked better as they were. Food for thought, in any case. I will never sell them or my coins, but there is a good chance my heirs will.

From your pictures, I think most or all your coins are attributable. There are resources on this site to assist you and, if you get stuck, post in the Identification forum and folks here will help you out. There are some truly amazing people here with unbelievable knowledge. There are also some great books out there. Also, just so you know, any reputable dealer will give you some idea of what you are buying, particularly when it comes to individual coins, but also for small lots like yours. At least they should be giving you a range on what you are getting and names of emperors if not specific references.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity