Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelian, minor variety of VSV-denarius  (Read 468 times)

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
Aurelian, minor variety of VSV-denarius
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:48:59 pm »
Unless I am missing something, this is an unattested combination of obv. legend (IMP C …) and bust type (cuirassed without paludamentum):

Aurelian (270 – 275)
Rome, officina B, Issue 10
Late 274
IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG; Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from front.
VICTORI - A AVG; Victory advancing left, holding wreath in right hand, palm branch in left. B in left field, V S V in exergue.
2,20 g. 18 mm ↑↑

Cf. MER-RIC: https://ric.mom.fr/en/search/advanced?tempRIC=&asmSelect0=&asmSelect1=&asmSelect2=&asmSelect3=&asmSelect4=&asmSelect5=&Denomination=Denarii&asmSelect6=&Titulature=IMP+C+AVRELIANVS+AVG&asmSelect7=&asmSelect8=&asmSelect9=&asmSelect10=&asmSelect11=&BustDescription=&ReverseDescription=&Note=&Reference=&page=1&mod=result

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Aurelian, minor variety of VSV-denarius
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 04:41:01 am »
Looks very similar to and potentially a double die match to this one I owned a few years ago.

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 12:20:48 pm »
Hi Maridvnvm,

Thanks for posting that image. The two coins look very similar, indeed, but they're not die-matched (the differences are very subtle, though). We'll see if this type will be included in the revised RIC V-edition.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 04:13:56 am »
Dr. Estiot was provided with images of my coin many years ago so I hope so.

Offline Per D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 05:55:37 am »
I submitted my coin when I couldn’t find the type on the MER-RIC website. I wonder if the database is still being updated.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity