Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins Lost In Mail  (Read 1062 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Coins Lost In Mail
« on: May 01, 2021, 04:51:39 pm »
In February of this year, I won a few coins in a European auction totaling $105.  I choose to have them sent via regular mail (no tracking) as I wanted to save some money and was willing to accept the risk.  Unfortunately, they never arrived.  The auction house Terms states a regular mail buyer accepts the risk (meaning no refund).

I queried the auction house several times only to confirm whether my coins were actually sent and sent to the correct address.  To my great surprise and without my asking for it, they refunded my funds!

It's so nice to see an auction house respond like this and respond well beyond my expectations.

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Re: Coins Lost In Mail
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:01:03 pm »
That’s great service.  I am actually in the same boat but haven’t reached out to the auction house.    I keep thinking Canadapost will show up one day with my package.   I was looking forward to this package too as it would have contained my first fibula.
Hopefully next week  ;)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 03:54:55 pm »
Lucky man -- Just the opposite of my experience with a recent auction held via biddr by "Biga Numismatics" -- for two coins costing $300+ I paid via a bank transfer €13 for NL Registered Mail (actual cost €7.30), and a flimsy Biga mailer finally arrived, sealed but totally empty. No talk of a full or part refund, just stalling and stonewalling. Any sense of a useful way forward here?
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 08:44:23 pm »
Has the seller perhaps got a copy of the registered receipt which he could send you? Perhaps there is an official weight on it. If the weight shown is the same as the weight of the empty envelope, you've got him. In any case I would write to the owners of biddr. Maybe you're not the only one who was sent an empty envelope.

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 07:42:17 pm »
I looked up the Auctions Terms for the latest Bigga Numismatics sale...

Payment and Shipping: Registered shipping is 13 Euro, can track the item with tracking number.
Ordinary Shipping with Postnl 5 Euro, loss and damage will be Buyer’s risk.

Registered is usually insured but for a limited amount of ~$100.

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 02:53:58 am »
This is not a company but just a private individual selling coins on biddr as an auction instead of going to coin fares.
There are a lot more auctions popping up at the moment. Beware - you will have definitely no legal rights whatsoever.
These companies do not issue correct invoices and dealers (in Europe) have to book their purchases as private sales.
Zeus e.g. simply moved from Netherlands to the UK to avoid such legal problems.

Just stick with your trusted dealer

Regards
Klaus

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 06:49:08 am »
"... Zeus e.g. simply moved from Netherlands to the UK ..."
As far as I understood it, it was the other way round, from the UK to the Netherlands  :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 08:40:36 am »
You are right - getting old
Papillon moved from France to London - same bunch (sorry)  >:(

Just try to check names and addresses - including VCoins, wher coins appear hours after allegedly sold in auction

Regards
Klaus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity