Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Philip Arab as Gordian III antoniniaunus

<< < (2/5) > >>

Vincent:
Oh, the PM  probably is to salute him
, Philip made a treaty with Shapur I to end hostilities, and celebrated it with this rare issue from Antioch. Note that the letters P M on the obverse do not stand for the expected Pontifex Maximus, but for Persicus Maximus, and relate to Philip's pride in his accomplishment

AMICTUS:

Yes. Strangely enough some local bronzes  from Viminacium, dated AN V, also present an obverse legend ending with P M. Part of them have also an obverse portrait retaining some features of Gordian. A connection due to an imperial stop during the journey back to Rome  or to an other reason ?

Priscus:
hey,

in my collection i have another piece with the typical Gordian head. I showed this a few years ago in the German forum. I am also of the opinion that this comes from the transition phase in their 244 from Antioch.

Priscus

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-122743

Priscus:
Incidentally, it is very interesting that my piece with P.M. is in legend and your piece with P.M. under the bust. This shows that the 1 (spring) and 2 (spring and summer) issues in 244 are not far apart. with that she asks the question again which is P.M. under the bust the first or second issue (?).

timka:
Hi Priscus,

Thank you for sharing your coin! Without seeing the legend, I would be sure enough you got a coin with Gordian. I guess       your coin was minted using available dies of Gordian portrait, so that only new legend for Phillip was added at due time.

Hope someone in the know will be able to conclude which one was the 1st, which was the 2nd issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version