Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Eastern Sept. Sev. - Laodicea - draped and cuirassed bust

(1/3) > >>

maridvnvm:
Whilst I have a general focus on the eastern issues of Septimius Severus, I try not to buy much of his later eastern issues from "Laodicea-ad-Mare" unless they have something slightly unusal. I think this one counts and is worth sharing.

I know that the coin has quite a few issues but I must admit that I didn't think I would own anything from these issues that wasn't just the plain head right.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
Rev:– AEQVITA-TI AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
Minted in Laodicea ad Mare. A.D. 201
Reference(s) – RIC IV -; BMCRE -; RSC 22a

Not the same dies as Arnold lot 5 and Barry Murphy SEV-169.

2.57 gms, 18.24 mm. 330 degrees

Meepzorp:
Hi marid,

Nice coin! :)

Interesting portrait.

Meepzorp

timka:
Martin, very nice looking bust variant! I have not seen this one before.

Though I have to admit sometimes it is very tricky to 100% be sure if this is draped and cuirassed, or only draped bust. From my side I usually recognise a cuirasse when that small plates on the shoulder are more distinctive. For example as for coins below I would say that left one is only draped bust, but right is draped and cuirassed (because of visible plates over shoulder). However, there could be various types of cuirasses too...

maridvnvm:
Mine appears to be a different obverse die to the Barry Murphy example, which is certainly Draped and cuirassed. Mine could be draped only. A die search for a better example is called for I think.

curtislclay:
I agree, yours looks draped only.

Unfortunately my cast collection doesn't include another spec. from your obv. die; just two casts of the draped and cuirassed Arnold specimen, before and after cleaning; and a cast of a BM denarius ex L.A. Lawrence collection with a different fancy bust, laureate cuirassed right seen from front, fold of cloak on l. shoulder, RSC 21b, which is from the same obverse die as the Cederlind Estate specimen shown below (CNG E387, 30 Nov. 2016, 478).

Cohen 22=RSC 22 reports a draped only specimen, but unfortunately without naming a source. Maybe indeed another specimen from your obv. die, though we shouldn't entirely exclude that Cohen just misreported a draped and cuirassed example like Arnold's and Barry Murphy's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version