Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inquiry about where Dyrrhachium drachm imitation was solc  (Read 1165 times)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Inquiry about where Dyrrhachium drachm imitation was solc
« on: April 11, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »
I am studying and collecting the "barbarous" imitations of the common drachms ofApollonia and Dyrrahchium in Illyria.  I recently came across this image of one that Savoaca Coins had, but can find no information about it other than the picture.  Does anyone know where it was published?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Inquiry about where Dyrrhachium drachm imitation was solc
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:34:27 pm »
I don't see it on acsearch (perhaps I missed it) so perhaps an eBay sale.  Did you try contacting them? 

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 05:07:39 pm »
Yes, and got a very polite but unhelpful reply.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »
Dear Mac, Nick, and Board,

I was able to relocate the coin.  It was indeed sold on eBay, on 9 March 2018 for a pittance (in my opinion.  Its diameter was recorded as 17mm and its weight as 2.37 grams.  A larger set of images is attached.  Based on them, I feel the die axis is probably 8h, assuming the reverse was orientated properly by Savoca. 

If you would like the original eBay link, please let me know.  I strongly believe it is important to record eBay item numbers as the day will probably come when online databases will include them as search terms.  In many cases, they would make research so much easier.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:22:38 pm »
Thank you, Mark!  How in the devil did I miss that--right in my collecting area.  I am very glad to have the weight.

Mac

All coins are guaranteed for eternity