Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Coin From the Summer of 69  (Read 1931 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
A Coin From the Summer of 69
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:30:17 am »
69 AD that is. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-137460

Alexandria in that fateful summer during the Year of the Four Emperors struck a rare tetradrachm which basically announced Vespasian's intention to have Titus succeed him. I was lucky enough to acquire one of these very recently.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: A Coin From the Summer of 69
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:51:42 am »
Not the Summer of Love strictly speaking, but still a remarkable coin! But your posting assigns Titus' legend to Vespasian's image and vice versa; I'm not sure that was really the plan.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 08:26:24 am »
Not the Summer of Love strictly speaking, but still a remarkable coin! But your posting assigns Titus' legend to Vespasian's image and vice versa; I'm not sure that was really the plan.

They have the same name and the legends are correct. 'AYT' is the key.  ;)

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:28:21 am »
Right, I know they're distinct; but should we not assume that the image to go with T.'s legend is his not his father's?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 09:35:53 am »
Right, I know they're distinct; but should we not assume that the image to go with T.'s legend is his not his father's?

I think you misunderstood me. 'Vespasian' and 'Titus' both have the same name - Titus Flavius Vespasianus. The 'T' is missing from Titus' name on the reverse. Trust me, the legends are correct.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:15:13 am »
This is what I am talikg about, from your Gallery posting --

Alexandria mint, 69 AD RPC 2405 (6 spec.)
Obv: AYT TIT ΦΛAYI OYEΣΠAΣIAN KAIΣ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r., date LA before neck
Rev: ΦΛΑΥΙ ΟΥΕΣΠΑΣΙΑΝΟΣ ΚΑΙΣ; laureate and cuirassed bust of Titus, r. --

although father and son look alike, surely it's a debatable claim that the father instead of the son is the one pictured here with the title TIT ΦΛAYI.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:12 am »
This is what I am talikg about, from your Gallery posting --

Alexandria mint, 69 AD RPC 2405 (6 spec.)
Obv: AYT TIT ΦΛAYI OYEΣΠAΣIAN KAIΣ; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r., date LA before neck
Rev: ΦΛΑΥΙ ΟΥΕΣΠΑΣΙΑΝΟΣ ΚΑΙΣ; laureate and cuirassed bust of Titus, r. --

although father and son look alike, surely it's a debatable claim that the father instead of the son is the one pictured here with the title TIT ΦΛAYI.

It's not a 'debatable claim'. That is Vespasian on the obverse with the proper titles. Regnal year one coins at Alexandria all have this title for him, with or without Titus Caesar on the reverse! Titus Caesar's legend sometimes was struck without the 'T' at Alexandria and Antioch, and it is most certainly him on the reverse.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 11:17:46 am »
So what you wish to say is that Vespasian is pictured on the obverse, but called Titus? Now that's quite surprising, to me anyway.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
So what you wish to say is that Vespasian is pictured on the obverse, but called Titus? Now that's quite surprising, to me anyway.

His name is Titus Flavius Vespasianus, so it should not come as a shock.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 01:18:41 pm »
I was so tired of having Titus mistaken for his father I forgot it could equally happen the other way around!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity