Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Coins Discussion Forum

Commodus denarius with Star under Throne - UPDATE !

<< < (2/3) > >>

curtislclay:
I haven't seen star under throne either!

CoinArchives Pro: 5 star in l. field, 1 star in r. field, 4 without star.

This is the only "seated" type of the issue, so the only one where "star under throne" is possible. The other denarius types of the issue all show divinities standing not seated.

A parallel for "star under throne", however: the TR P XVII largesse scene sestertius that I mentioned in another Forvm thread of timka's, where the star is placed on the side of the platform on which the emperor sits.

Apparently the seated goddess in the denarius type is Securitas not Pietas, for on a new aureus auctioned by Spink in 1988 the same rev. type has the legend SEC GEN HVM P M TR P XVII COS VII P P.

There is nothing useful about the positioning of the star in Szaivert's 1986/1989 MIR monograph on the coinage of Marcus and Commodus. He just says that the star sometimes occurs on coins of this year (192).

timka:
Hi!

Here is another one with Star under Throne denarius from different ob/rev dies. It is minted on a small and very slim flan - its weight is just 1,9 g. So, there two of them beside on the picture below.

Would be interesting if other types with 'star under throne' from TR P XVII (Pietas/Securitas) show up with time, hopefully bronzes too!.. I guess this new issue deserves mentioning in a new RIC along with the other two commoner variants with star in right and left fields.

1,9g - 17mm - 1h

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Z.

timka:
Hi!

I would like to let you know that I put together a simple video inspired by this denarius of Commodus with a comet under the throne.

https://youtu.be/z-_jsWLuaiw

Hope such link is allowed over here.

Thank you for your time.

Z.

Lerian:
Just a quick question regarding this same type.

Is it usual for part of the reverse legend to be seen in the exurge?

timka:

--- Quote from: Lerian on October 23, 2021, 04:49:52 am ---Just a quick question regarding this same type.

Is it usual for part of the reverse legend to be seen in the exurge?

--- End quote ---

HI! To my knowledge this is very unusual variant for this type. I have not seen it before. Very nice. Congrats.

Hopefully Curtis will provide some information.

Thank you for sharing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version