Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bargain Bin Ancients Picked up at a Show  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Scott H2

• Praetorian
Bargain Bin Ancients Picked up at a Show
« on: August 29, 2015, 02:53:09 pm »
Well at this point I have zero training in ancient coins. I have many of the more popular books and have been studying them for months. I also have a few lots of uncleaned coins coming my way to work on. I'm hoping these that I picked up for $1 each are authentic and I can use them as a base of reference. If not they are great examples of forgeries to compare to so I don't make that mistake again. All opinions and observations are welcome. The last one appears to be an Archaic Obal. These others all look like Roman imperial. I can make out the name Arcadius in one of them as well.

Offline Scott H2

• Praetorian
Re: Bargain Bin Ancients Picked up at a Show
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:58:20 pm »
And perhaps someone could suggest a way that I can put the two sides of the coin in the same image to make it easier here. I reduced these images from my Celestron Digital Microscope by 50%. In the future let me know if I should reduce by more. I'm also still learning the fine art of light use.

Offline Scott H2

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:11:58 pm »
Finally the last photos. I've only included one side of the Obal because it looks like the reverse is blank. I believe it is silver but cannot be sure.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 05:26:16 pm »
Based on the photo alone, your second coin, "Moneta", is clearly false. It is a copper reproduction of a Roman Republican denarius.
The others seem to be authentic.....from the photos alone....to my old eyes. Perhaps others on Forum will add their views.
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »
That was my thought.  The late Roman ones all look good.  And quite nice for $1 each! 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Scott H2

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:28:01 am »
Based on the photo alone, your second coin, "Moneta", is clearly false. It is a copper reproduction of a Roman Republican denarius.
The others seem to be authentic.....from the photos alone....to my old eyes. Perhaps others on Forum will add their views.
PeteB

Actually I had the same impression. I actually thought the first two were crude reproductions. I guess the second is a Roman imperial. Thanks for the help.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:37:36 am »
In the picture it looks like white metal. I agree that it is likely fake but it doesn't look bronze.
Andreas Reich

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:54 pm »
Scott,

To answer your question regarding having both sides of a coin in the same image, I recently discovered that PowerPoint works great.  Just open up a slide, move the two images into the slide and size them correctly.  Then highlight each photo, right click and hit "save photo".  You are done!

Steve S.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »
And if that doesn't work for me, search this forum for 'combine images', 'stitch images' and similar. It is a question that was asked and answered quite a few times. There's probably something here as well:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=27956.0
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity