Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clipped Siliqua (?)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Federico M

• Consul
Clipped Siliqua (?)
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:07 pm »
I'm trying to identify this small Roman coin: 0.60 grams and 12.8 mm (smaller "diam.": 11.9)

Obverse: diademed, draped (and cuirassed?) bust right;
Reverse: Roma seated left (on cuirass?), holding Victory on globe in right and inverted spear in left. (Likely legend: VIRTVS ROMANORVM)

I'm thinking about a (light) clipped siliqua (the metal is definitely silver, even if it may look like a fourré for some details of its sourfaces: the edges are actually clipped and they do not show any bronze... maybe the coin was made of debased silver and then washed in better silver?), maybe of Honorius or Arcadius (Mediolanum mint?), but I'm not at all an expert, in particular of these late silver issues, so I would appreciate any other (and more informed) opinion.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Clipped Siliqua (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:33:10 pm »
It is a clipped siliqua, probably of Honorius or Arcadius. Unfortunately the legends have been clipped off so I think a positive attribution is likely not possible.
The mint mark is also gone (would be in the exergue under Roma, who is indeed seated on a cuirass) so the place of mintage is also uncertain.
Sorry that's the best I can do.

Regards,
Alex.

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:03:11 pm »
hi Federico - looks to me like a portrait of Valens, or maybe Valentinian I. Both had siliqua with the Roma/Vicotry style reverses. Looks more like Valens though. But hey, I'm often wrong.  Joe

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:36:37 am »
Looks more like Valens though. But hey, I'm often wrong.  Joe

..... and your wrong again! ;D  The style of Federico's coin is later, not at all like Valens (below).

Alex.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:39:24 am »
Here are a couple of siliquas, one of Arcadius and one of Honorius.
Without legends it is almost impossible to say who is who.  :-\

Alex.

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 05:19:59 pm »
Alex - you got me. Sorry Federico. Was trying to just use Van Meter to help, w/o pictures of the siliqua. It does look a BIT like Valens though, the non-silqua Valens that is. I will refrain from potluck attributions for eternity, if not longer.  Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity