Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown half follis  (Read 1392 times)

a

Unknown half follis
« on: March 11, 2004, 01:07:12 pm »
Hi,

This half follis has to much crosses. This is some unknown type or just overminted on early half follis.

Thanks,
Explorer

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
Re:Unknown half follis
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:49:54 pm »
Looks like a later issue from the VIIth century overstruck on an earlier half-follis and cut, maybe to meet the new weight standard. Can you tell me the size and the weight if you know it? Could be a Iustinian II at a first impression.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

a

Re:Unknown half follis
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 05:16:06 am »
Thank you vercingetorix,

I don't belive it can be Justinian II. I find this coin with others about thousand coins in area conquered by Arabs in first years of Constans II reign. I will send the size and weight later.

Explorer

All coins are guaranteed for eternity