Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine cupcoin  (Read 1183 times)

Offline SP88K

• Consul
  • The avarage person thinks he isn't.
    • Coin Traveler
Byzantine cupcoin
« on: July 03, 2004, 09:38:35 am »
As far as byzantine cupcoins go I haven't got a clue I hope some of you can help me out. The coin is 20 mm at its widest point and 18 mm at its smallest.
Thx in advance for any help,
Casper
Man's mind stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimension.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re:Byzantine cupcoin
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 10:33:08 am »
HI Casper, need a little more information. Do you see any inscription on the coin. On the obverse, we need to determine if it is a saint or Christ. ( I am thinking Saint.) Does the letters IC  XC appear near the obverse portait? ( If so then it is Christ.) How about the reverse any markings?

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline SP88K

• Consul
  • The avarage person thinks he isn't.
    • Coin Traveler
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 10:47:54 am »
Sorry Simon I don't see any letters neither on the obverse or the reverse. Outside the small areas with the figures the coin is completely flat and featureless.  :(
Man's mind stretched by a new idea never goes back to its original dimension.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 12:04:56 pm »
And we wonder why more people do not collect these.  :) It is not unusually to see them blank, it just makes much more difficult to attribute correctly. I will check my books this weekend. I'll see if we can at least narrow it down.

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity