Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Biblical & Judean Coins Discussion Forum

Etruscus Serapis Caesarea Maritima

(1/1)

v-drome:

BCC CM32
Roman Provincial
Caesarea Maritima
Herennius Etruscus 250-251CE
Obv:MES Q EREN ETRVSCO
DECIO CAES Radiate bust rt.
Rev:[COL P]F AV FC CAES
METROP Serapis std. to right, head turned to left,
holding sceptre with left arm lowered.
AE 18x20mm.7.74gm. Axis:180 Unlisted in Kadman
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1974

This coin is not listed in Kadman's Coins of Caesarea Maritima(1957),
although it was to be expected since this reverse type occurs on coins of
all the other members of Decius's imperial family. I do not know if this coin
has been subsequently published in a later reference. Any comments are welcome.

v-drome:
I wanted to bump this topic in case the coin has appeared in any later references or sales.  So far I have not seen another example of this apparently unpublished type.  Thanks, Jimi

Aarmale:
This one was a tough nut to crack. It wasn't in RPC online, acsearch, nor in the Sofaer collection. But I think I found it! Rosenberger, Caesarea 151.

Unfortunately only a line drawing was provided for this coin. I think this was done in many cases where it was felt the details of the coin would not come through in the image, but unfortunately that forces us to see the coin through the eyes of the artist.

Nonetheless, the legends and imagery seem to correspond well. In fact, your coin together with Rosenberger's coin enable us to expand the readings of the legends:
O: MES Q EREN ETRVSCO DECIO CAES
R: COL PF AV FC CAES METROP

v-drome:
Thank you, Aaron.  That seems pretty conclusive.  So, not unique! (I realize that by its very definition, a coin can almost never be "unique").  I will update my description, and maybe we can submit it to RPC if there is a way to do this.

Thanks, again for all your efforts!  Jimi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version