Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallery FAQs  (Read 56815 times)

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Gallery FAQs
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2016, 05:50:14 pm »
Hi Schatz,

From what I can see your coins are arranged alphanumerically which is what the FORVM software does. Am I missing something?

*Alex.

Offline Schatz

• Consul
Re: Gallery FAQs: Sorting Problem
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2016, 06:00:24 pm »

Just looked at all my albums: They are all messed up. All Parthian coins were in rising Sellwood numbers. The rulers are grouped in names, but their sequence is incorrect in the within the albums.  Main problem is that I seem to be able to move the coins in the picture manager window but then the changes do not show up in the albums.

Would love to hear if someone has had a similar experience, and what can be done to correct the disorder.

Thanks,
Schatz

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 06:02:51 pm »
Hi Alex,

I used to be able to move my coins around and get them in the order I wanted to have them in.  But since I added the new coins this does not seem possible any longer.

Schatz

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 08:12:46 pm »
The software has not been changed our updated.  There is an order setting, but I don't know how to use it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2016, 09:45:29 pm »
As Joe says, there is a way to determine order, but I have a hard time remembering where it is.

Apparently the coins are ordered by the title you give it. So I solved the problem by starting the title of each coin with a numeral. That way I could determine the order of the coins in the album. See for example, my album of British coins:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4762

Hope this helps.

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2016, 02:06:35 am »
every time your clear your cache you have to reset your order priority using the blue box in the upper right hand corner. perhaps it's that?

i put all my Taras coins in Vlasto order, but one has to be in the 'Position +' mode to see them that way.
actually i don't know why this isn't the default, but there it is.

~ Peter

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2016, 08:47:33 am »

Thanks, Joe, Callimachus and Enodia, for your help. I guess I will have to experiment a little. It's probably one small thing I used to do that I am not doing now. Callimachus' number system is good, but it does not make allowances for new acquisitions you would want to fit in. I'll let it sit for a while and try again, perhaps it will work then.

Schatz

Online *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2016, 10:51:44 am »
Quote from: Schatz on December 29, 2016, 08:47:33 am

Callimachus' number system is good, but it does not make allowances for new acquisitions you would want to fit in.

Schatz

I arrange my coins chronologically by date which easily permits new acquisitions to be added in their proper sequence. By using the word "struck" the coins remain in chronological order even within individual reigns.
(See example below).

Could you not do something similar with your Sellwood numbers?

Alex

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2016, 09:16:40 am »
Hi Alex,
I see how your system works, and it would, of course, also work for Parthian coins, but ... I really dread to have to rearrange a couple of hundreds of coins. And there still remains the question why I was able to set up the gallery my way until about 3 weeks ago, and now I am unable to move coins around.
What comes to mind is that I had my Mac professionally debugged recently, and I wonder if something happened in the process.
Well, I guess I have to keep playing around or start editing furiously.
Thanks again,
Schatz

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2016, 10:37:03 am »
Hi Schatz,,

May you also used my system...in my Gallery...:)

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2017, 11:00:53 am »
Quadrans,

if I am correct, your system assigns the first position to the minting date in your album "Roman Republic". This would only work for Parthian tetras as both drachms and bronzes are not dated.  In the following "Twelve Caesars" albums you give all Gajus Julius Caesar coins the 001 position, the Marc Anthony coins the 001a, etc., so you would be able to insert new coins.  Again, the system is not so easily transferable to Parthian coins where the sequence, and even the names of rulers and dates are not established with certainty, in other words, things change.  Orodes I. recently became Mithradates III.,  Vologases III. became Pakoros I., etc., and with the names the time of rule can change.
My old foolproof system was to move the coins around as needed with the sorting feature.  This, for some reason, seems no longer possible.

Thanks, though, for your suggestions.  You certainly have a magnificent gallery!
Schatz

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2017, 12:16:34 pm »
Quote from: Schatz on January 01, 2017, 11:00:53 am
...This, for some reason, seems no longer possible...

Again, there have not been any changes to the software.  Not for years.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2017, 02:28:31 pm »
Hello Joe,

I do believe you when yo say the software has been the same for years. The more I look into this, the more I am convinced that either the recent computer debugging or one of the automatic Apple updates did the damage. My operating system is still Yosemite because I did not dare to download the latest OS. It would have killed my iPhoto app which has all my pics in a certain order. The Photo app which replaces it is does not suit my needs. But my iPhoto has also been messed with, I can no longer upload edited pics from it, rather I have to transfer them first to Photo or edit them in Photo.  Sorry to bother you with all these boring details.  As I said, I'll just have to juggle my coins until they are where I want them.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help and a Happy New Year,
Schatz

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »
Did you try pressing the + or - in the top right corner? 

You can also sort your images through the "Sort my pictures" tab.  But you have to go to the very bottom of the page and then "Apply Changes" or else it won't take.

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2017, 07:36:41 pm »
Hi Jay GT4,

thanks for your advice. But I have done all those things - I have been posting and moving coins for 2 years. The trouble is that what I was doing successfully until about 2 weeks ago no longer works. Something is different now, and I am trying to find out what it is.

Schatz

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 02:50:06 pm »
Hi,

I went through all the suggestions and possibilities again, and lo and behold! I think I have everything under control again.  Enodia's suggestion to pay attention to the blue box in the upper right corner did the trick. The only setting there that will permit you to supersede the alphanumeric sequence is 'position'. If one choses 'position +' one can move the coins in one's gallery at will with the help of the sort feature.  I don't know why I did not notice this when I tested the blue box before.  What I think happened is that the Mac repair people and all the Bitdefender scans somehow canceled the old setting.

Three cheers for Enodia!

Schatz

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 03:33:07 pm »
  ;)

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2017, 09:44:20 am »

Hi,

a question concerning the placement of existing listings in the theme galleries:  How do I enter a coin from my gallery in one of the theme galleries without deleting it in its original place? The old 'right-click-copy-and-paste' routine does not work properly (you don't transfer the comments), or do you start a new listing of your coin in the the theme gallery? That would be easy enough to do but then you don't have the number of viewings and the comments.  I figured there must be a clever way to duplicate the listing and place it in a new location.

Always grateful for tech advice,
Schatz

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2017, 04:06:39 pm »
Please submit a duplicate entry.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Schatz

• Consul
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 10:39:51 pm »
Thanks, Joe,

got it: I will have to create a new listing.

Schatz

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2018, 02:11:59 pm »
I have a question concerning my gallery. I have uploaded 21 coins. However, my gallery always just shows 4 rows of 4 coins each. Then on the bottom there is a random files row of four of my coins. Usually 2 of the 4 random files are coins already shown above while the remaining two are part of the five coins that aren't shown in the four rows above. How come all my coins aren't showing up? And how do I get rid of the random files row? Thanks!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=47002

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »
Click on "Last Added" and you'll see them in order of last added...

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2018, 02:56:36 pm »
I don't think you can get rid of the random line.

I see 16 coins listed in your galleries, so i would do as Jay suggests ans maybe the others got mis-loaded somehow.

- Peter

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 03:10:25 pm »
Huh, they're all there when I click on Last Added. So what is the purpose of the My Gallery button that only shows 16 coins plus 4 randoms?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 04:27:58 pm »
Click on your gallery's thumbnail and you will see all the coins you've uploaded.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity