Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Herennius Etruscus OTD  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Herennius Etruscus OTD
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »
This is my latest addition and the last for awhile.  I need to make a new budget and coins will have to take a back seat for a spell...  :-\

Herennius Etruscus Antoninianus

Attribution: RIC IV 143, RSC 14
Date: AD 250
Obv: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, radiate head r.
Rev: PIETAS AVGVSTORVM, sacrificial implements (aspergillum, simpuvium, gutturnium, patera, and lituus)
Size: 20.6 mm
Weight: 4.3 grams

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-55225

Best, Noah

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Herennius Etruscus OTD
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:25:32 pm »
What a wonderful portrait.

Congrats.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:58:36 pm »
I thought it was a super portrait as well.  In fact, if you look in my gallery and compare his portrait to his father's, you'll see a resemblance.  First look at the Decius bust, then the Decius portrait (which, IMO is very similar and, thus, pretty accurate), and finally at Herrennius' portrait on my coin (not the middle pic), and you'll see the family resemblance (at least I do particularly in the nose/mouth).  That is why I bought this coin even though I was not looking for one of his in particular.  I was honing in on a Caracalla, but that will have to wait...

Best, Noah

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:43:11 am »
Thanks for the correction in the description Jean-Claude.  I was rushing and simply copied the description from the site I purchased the coin from.  I didn't pay close attention, but at least Forvm members keep me honest!  :)

Best, Noah

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:06:29 am »
That is a nice portrait! What's a gutturnium by the way? I haven't heard of one before.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:28:25 am »
Five or ten years ago there was a discussion of this reverse type online, I think on Moneta-L, but it might have been Forvm.

At the time I found five slightly varying versions of the type and wrote them into my RIC, depending on whether the sacrificial implements are depicted side by side or overlapping, and whether the handle of the ladle is shown on the left side or the right side of its scoop.

Noah's coin shows variant 4:

pitcher with handle on right and mouth on left in the middle (constant in all type variants), flanked by

on left, sprinkler behind ladle with handle on right,

on right, lituus behind patera.
Curtis Clay

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:31:20 pm »
Thanks for the correction in the description Jean-Claude.  I was rushing and simply copied the description from the site I purchased the coin from.  I didn't pay close attention, but at least Forvm members keep me honest!  :)

Best, Noah

You're welcome, nevertheless it's a great acquisition and a nice addition to your collection.

Best
JC

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 04:03:14 pm »
I think the gutturnium is the pitcher in the middle.  Don't quote me on that, I just remember seeing something along those lines. 

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity