Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Could this be Herennius Etruscus?  (Read 528 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Could this be Herennius Etruscus?
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:47:57 am »
I was told it was and that it's very rare due to the reverse. The info given to me was:
Herennius Etruscus 251 AD AR Antoninianus Extremely Rare, As Caesar, radiate and draped bust right.

Maybe the inscription on the OBV is  HEREN ETRMESQV DECIVS CAESAR  can't read the REV.

I can't find it and would appreciate any help.  Found some similar ones but with a different diety sitting on the reverse.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Could this be Herennius Etruscus?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 02:36:34 am »
Antioch mint, RIC 159 a or b (depending on the dots beneath the bust, 1 or 4, i see 2 dots?)

HEREN ETRV MES Q V DECIVS CAESAR / PVDICITIA AVG

rated "R"

regards

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 03:10:33 am »
Antioch mint, RIC 159 a or b (depending on the dots beneath the bust, 1 or 4, i see 2 dots?)

HEREN ETRV MES Q V DECIVS CAESAR / PVDICITIA AVG

rated "R"

regards

Thanks you very much. Been pulling my hair out on this one. Still haven't found a picture of it anywhere but will keep looking. Scott

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
Re: Could this be Herennius Etruscus? Pic added of bust dots
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »
Anyone have any ideas on this one. It clearly only has two dots under the bust and I'm pretty sure that the other two were never there.
This is a very difficult coin to get any info on especially pictures. I did find 1 example with 4 dots.

I there a listing for RIC 159 with 2 dots? What is the significance of them anyway?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:42:30 pm »
The dots indicate mint workshops, and new workshop varieties not attested in RIC are turning up all the time. So nothing to be surprised or mystified about!

If you specialized in Antioch antoniniani of the reigns of Decius and Gallus, you might well find that a third or so of the coins you acquired were unpublished varieties. Take a look at the many unpublished pieces of Gallus and Volusian in Richard Beale's collection on his website "249-253 AD: Four Bad Years".

Still, nice to have a rare and possibly unpublished variety in your collection!

Curtis Clay

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »
The dots indicate mint workshops, and new workshop varieties not attested in RIC are turning up all the time. So nothing to be surprised or mystified about!

If you specialized in Antioch antoniniani of the reigns of Decius and Gallus, you might well find that a third or so of the coins you acquired were unpublished varieties. Take a look at the many unpublished pieces of Gallus and Volusian in Richard Beale's collection on his website "249-253 AD: Four Bad Years".

Still, nice to have a rare and possibly unpublished variety in your collection!

Thank you Curtis. I assumed the dots were the workshops and in my mind I wondered why their would be either 1 or 4 of them. So I didn't do too bad at $48 for this coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity