Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Edessa 2  (Read 689 times)

Emanuele Giulianelli

Edessa 2
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:24 pm »
AE 18
Edessa - Mesopotamia

i think experts should understand what is it... Marcus Aurelius?

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Edessa 2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:52:20 pm »
Septimius Severus more likely?  George S.
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:47:26 am »
which are the differences between the legends of the various Abgar kings of Edessa?
maybe i can work on the Abgar face to understand the roman emperor!
can someone help me?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:28:26 pm »
This type was not minted for M. Aurelius, and the Commodus/Abgar coins are smaller in module. This coin is certainly of S.Severus, of the subtype without the scepter in front of Abgar's portrait, BMC 31.
The legends of these coins are particularly crude and vary greatly - sometimes all A's, V's and lambda's are engraved as 'V', which complicates the reading. The legends are almost always to be interpreted as 'Severus Autokrator' and 'Abgaros Basileus'.
All the Edessan kings of that name are just called 'King Abgar' on their coins. Only very rarely is there some kind of differentiation in the legends, for example a coin of Abgar VIII (the one on your coin) has the name 'Septimius' included in the legend, and a coin of Caracalla has an Abgar called 'Abgar Severus'.
Regards
Gert

Emanuele Giulianelli

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »
perfect!
thanks ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity