Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

Hydrogen peroxide

(1/2) > >>

moonmoth:
A warning for anyone tempted to try using a strong concentration of hydrogen peroxide to clean a coin (that is, if you can get hold of it, which won't be easy):

I just watched a TV programme in which a man flew using a personal jetpack.  The fuel is 90% hydrogen peroxide.  It is activated by contact with silver, upon which it turns into superheated steam at 1400 degrees Fahrenheit (= 760 degrees Celsius) .. which is not something you want around you and your coins!

Bill

larry c:
Also used as a oxidizer in rocket fuel by NASA & the military! :)

bruce61813:
I may have made a comment a very long time ago about hydrogen peroxide and cleaning. It is effective at breaking down organic materials, but will not work against inorganics. What does that mean in cleaning?

1. If the coin is coated with hard clay, but not lime, it will break up the clay or at least soften it. The super fine mineral particles that make up clay are bound together by organic materials.

2. It is ineffective against mineral deposits like lime, and some other water deposited minerals,many of which won' dissolve with just water once they form.  These often require high temperature water to re-dissolve.

just some thoughts

Bruce

larry c:
Bruce is correct. I've used 3% peroxide and it does help is some cases, but
as with all chemical cleaning should be used with care and in small steps.
Sometimes that bit of clay or deposit covers a ugly pit or crater!
Some coins have better eye appeal partially cleaned( think desert patina)
then completely clean showing a rough, pitted flan. Peroxide is also
rough on the skin so use gloves!
There is no magic bullet. :)

CzarMike:
10% peroxide can get quite volatile, but works great on Balkans coins because the the dirt in that area is mostly decomposing plants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version